Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Around Bolivia

BOLIVIA | Friday, 16 May 2008 | Views [639] | Comments [2]

Somehow my time in Bolivia is at its end already. It was only to be a short side trip, but I feel a little cheated that I have barely seen the country.

After our time in the Uyuni pub (drinking ourselves not quite into oblivion, well at least not the girls), we boarded the overnight train to Oruro where we were to connect to a bus to La Paz. I didn't sleep very well as I was a little concerned as to whether I'd ever see my backpack again. The system they had....who am I kidding? There was no system. Just people speaking rapid Spanish and not attempting to let us know what was going on. Shifting us from place to place and not letting us put our bags on the train until it was about to pull out, and just chucking them on without any tickets. Insert Marge sound here.

Thankfully my concern was ill placed and my backpack made it safe and sound into Oruro, which admittedly I didn't see much of, apart from a glorious sunrise as we pulled into town. We made a beeline for the train station and jumped onto a bus for La Paz.

After getting into the hostel (complete with wi-fi, a luxury I was not expecting) we went to investigate La Paz. It has a strong cultural beauty, with many indigenous women walking around, selling their wares at stalls. They wear multi-coloured pleated skirts with a top generally made from alpaca and a little more plain than their skirts. In addition to this, they have a beautifully vivid blanket/shawl which they tie around their shoulders to use as a sling to carry their belongings/wares/children. Add a bowlers hat atop their shabbily plaited hair and subtract several teeth from their lined faces that have seen much and you have a native Bolivian woman. They are just so beautiful.

La Paz consists of markets, markets and more markets. Everything from Alpaca clothing, pirated DVDs, fake brand-name clothing, footwear, perfume...the list goes on to even include llama fetuses should you shop at the witches market. Thankfully though these fetuses are not untimely ripped from their mothers' wombs, rather they are discovered when llamas are slaughtered for meat. They are a popular gift for good luck in offerance to a god of some sort.

That kind of brings me to my traditional break down of a country (albeit difficult to do in a week).

Bottom 3:

3. Not having enough time here

2. Not being able to buy stuff because I don't have the money/space

1. Rampant poverty

Top 3:

3. The beautiful markets

2. How cheap everything is

1. Rampant beautiful culture, especially the indigenous women.

Anyway, I'm off to collect Snuffy from the pub and head to bed; we have an early start to catch an 8am bus to Peru tomorrow.

Hasta luego!

Around Bolivia photos

Comments

1

I presume you are heading for Puno? and eventually Cusco? I have fond memories of that trip, only I did it in the opposite direction (from Cusco to La Paz). Incidentally, you say the poverty struck you in Bolivia... well coming from Peru, Bolivia seemed wealthy! What struck me on the bus trip from Puno to La Paz was that on the Bolivian side of the border (oooh there's a border crossing treat for you!) the houses were painted and often had colourful little gardens... in Peru everything is mud colour, paint is a luxury, and gardens are purely for subsistence, so not pretty. But I loved Peru so much more for this... life is tough for Peruvians, but they seem so happy.

I'll be very excited for you when you first arrive in Cusco (I do hope you are heading there). Take care at altitude... coca tea is the best remedy, so too are siestas, and walking slowly.
Salud!
Jenny

  Jenny May 17, 2008 2:36 PM

2

ok so next time you come across llama fetuses you totally better get me one. They sound just so divine. ewww, that's not even funny, just rotten. Like you. You're rotten. & ugly. So ner! Im going to sleep now. See you in dream land :)

  chelsea May 20, 2008 8:56 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.