Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Mendoza

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 26 April 2008 | Views [2068] | Comments [3]

Hola my little furry monkeys,

All is well in the Argentinean camp, though not much to report. We walked around Mendoza today, and it really is a beautiful city. The original city of Mendoza was destroyed in an earthquake a couple of hundred years ago, and when they rebuilt it, they made it with wide streets in case of another earthquake. This leads to lots of room for trees, walking and general enjoyment of the city.

The city is centred around a main plaza (surprise), Plaza Independencia, but it is huge, fountainy, and beautiful. Lovers litter the seats and gardens and leave a smile on your face (or feeling of nausea, either way). There are four plazas that are equidistant from Plaza Independencia, and although smaller, each have their own story and beauty.

There is Plaza San Martin (named after some famous guy), Plaza Chile, Plaza Italia and Plaza Espana (the latter three to represent the close ties with the countries). Although all are beautiful, Plaza Espana is just gorgeous! It has beautiful tiles covering the pathways, and a different patten around the edges of the lamposts and seats. The plaza is surrounded by endemic and imported trees, each with a small plaque informing you of the common name, species name and country of origin. Sigh of contentment.

After this we walked out to San Martin park, which is absolutely enormous, it puts our Botanical Gardens to SHAME. We walked around there for a while, I had a blister and Andrew decided it would be awesome to throw these big fruity things at me - kind of like a cross between an apple, a pineapple and a melon of some description. Heavy, a bit prickly, green and round. I love you sweetheart - you are so thoughtful.

You have to be careful here in Argentina - SO many people offer you marijuana. In Spanish, English, amigo, gunja? weed? marijuana? What you want? Good time amigo? It's not quite the strange man hiding in the bushes in Palenque and creeping out to offer you mushrooms, but apparently we must look like stoners. I'm not sure. Andrew thinks its my boots, but I think it's his face. Anyway, you could have a 'good' time here if you wanted.

Tomorrow we are off to Santiago, via a windy 8 hour bus ride through the Andes. I am going to be VERY sick, I think. If Andrew and I are going to break up, this will be the day. Hopefully I won't vomit on him TOO much (though I don't think the driver will pull over for me...not that drivers often pull over for people who are going to vomit over others...do they mum??)

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy my last night in Argentina. G'night suckers.

If you want photos, check the Central Argentina link in the previous story.

Comments

1

Dear Mel,
Try not to vomit on Andrew as Im sure it will depreciate him and make him harder to sell! (You never know when you might need to sell a boyfriend - like when your m/card doesn't work!) Hope you have a good trip.

Gerard, Jayne & Jordan.

  gerard Apr 27, 2008 9:00 PM

2

You're not ever going to let me forget that, are you?

  Gloria Apr 29, 2008 10:41 PM

3

i must say firstly that i wasnt in on that last comment as i decided to read this post a whole 3 days later... and i was goin to say something about u being a stoner but the fact that u might hurt me was too overpowering

cyas

  jordmans_quest Apr 30, 2008 11:20 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.