Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Drive back to Chihuahua

MEXICO | Saturday, 22 March 2008 | Views [649] | Comments [1]

Hopefully this won't be a long post!! Got up in the morning to drive back to Chihuahua with Pablo and Norma. Firstly an hour drive along bumpiness until we hit paved road. I never thought I'd be so happy to see a road!! We drove for about 3 hours until we hit Creel, well, just before it anyway. Lovely Pablo and Norma took a short detour to show me a couple of sights just outside Creel - a beautiful lake where many of the Tarahumara were selling their crafts, and then inside a reserve, the valley of the frogs and the valley of the mushrooms, so named because the rock formations resemble these objects. Whilst we were out there in the 30 degree or so heat, Pablo informed me that not 4 days ago, they were standing here and it was SNOWING!! Talk about weird! They had to buy jackets in Creel because it was freezing!

We took a few photos and headed into Creel where we had lunch. It was great to have lunch with the two of them, because they ordered some typically Mexican meals and I got to try quite a few dishes. One spectacular one was called Aztec soup - a tomato based soup filled with tortilla chips, cheese, avocado and something else I can't remember. If it doesn't sound appealing, you just have to try it. Yumtastic is what it was.

We continued the drive onto Chihuahua, another 3 or so hours (after wandering around Creel for a little) where they dropped me at my hotel. We exchanged email addresses, and hopefully Pablo will send me a few photos - he has a beautiful SLR camera which takes stunning photos, so he could capture a lot more than I could with my point-and-shoot beauty. So here I sit, in awe of the past few days I've had and the wonderful people that have made me feel comfortable here in Mexico. I'm off to Guanajuato tomorrow (after a 7am flight to Mexico city and then a 5 hour bus ride), but I don't think I have the net there.

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter, and when I write to you next I should hopefully have a Snuffy Pig with me!

Comments

1

i must be weird (or really hungry) but that aztec soup sounds fricken awesome, take away the avocado

  jordmans_quest Mar 23, 2008 7:20 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.