Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

The town, not the dog

MEXICO | Wednesday, 19 March 2008 | Views [544]

My butt hurts. Yep, Mexican food finally caught up with me. It took an entire week and a half. Good going really, I thought. It has made it into my bottom five of firsts in Mexico (for the past 24 hours anyway)

5. Loco taxi driver nearly killing me

4. Rude bitch at the airport who thinks that just because she can speak English she has the right to order me to take an extra step in line which makes no difference to her placing whatsoever.

3. Spectacular sunburn that screams every time I put my large, heavy backpack on.

2. Mexican food burning my butt

1. Creepy guys ignoring my wedding ring and trying hard to elicit conversation and who knows what else. Stupid having to be in a shitty neighbourhood to buy a train ticket.

Anyway....I have the net! Woohoo! And! I think that I may have it at the place I'm staying for the next couple of days. So if you're lucky I'll get to post about my hopefully awesome Easter weekend. If you're lucky. I'm currently in Chihuahua, after a ridiculously early morning flight. I had a great taxi driver (sure as hell beat the guy I had the night before - I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the hotel alive!) who knew about 5 words in English but we had a small conversation anyway.

There's not a great deal in Chihuahua (and don't ask because I haven't seen any). Plazas, una Catedral, statues....another Mexican city really. They do have dry mountains in the background, which for a brief moment gave me a feeling of 'we're not in Kansas anymore Toto', but come to think of it it's probably more like Kansas than what I'm used to. But I digress.

They DO have an entire street dedicated to cowboy boots, which no matter what my sister says, is just not okay. But, by and large, not much to report. I DID end up on the wrong side of the tracks for half an hour or so, which was interesting to say the least. I had to go to the train station to buy a ticket to go to Copper Canyon tomorrow, and I was walking along, minding my own business. In a space of 10 minutes, I got 3 wolf-whistles, 2 guys follow me for 20 metres or so calling me ‘bonita’, 5 honks and 2 separate cars pull over to see if I wanted a ride anywhere.

I know that mum/dad/other family member is probably going to try to berate me for this/tell me off for including it, but there’s nothing you can do about it! Mwah ah ah! I was actually reasonably safe, there were plenty of people around and it was the middle of the day. The men here in Chihuahua are just a great deal, uh, friendlier, than what I’ve encountered so far.

Clearly as soon as I got my ticket I skidaddled right out of there. Needless to say there are no photos of that section of town. And that’s my day. I returned early to my room because I have to get up at 5:30am AGAIN to catch this stinking train.

Hope you all have a safe and happy easter, please somebody save me some red tulip eggs. Have a great holiday (a few days for some, a couple of weeks for others)!

XX

Chihuahua photos

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.