Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

It’s Not so Much the Heat, It’s the Humidity that’ll Kill You

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 27 March 2013 | Views [126]

It’s hot, I mean really hot. Cambodia is enduring high temptretures each day, which inedible leads to multiple power outages, as there is not enough electricity to keep the whole city cool. It is horrendously difficult to carry on when you feel that you are working inside an oven, being slowly roasted as you drip in sweat.

Thankfully Logos has a generator now. A new addition to ease our electrical woes, it enables the school to have some electrical flow during the inevitable power cuts. It does mean, however, that the classroom is reduced to using fans rather than the AC to circulate some cool air and provide some sort of relief from the heat.

I think back to the days when I taught in Australia and when it was deemed too “hot” to play outside students played indoors with the AC pumping. Here, however, it is over 34 degrees inside the room and we are still expecting our students to work and learn in these uncomfortable conditions!

Right now we are doing testing with the students and it has seemed to have fallen on one of the hottest weeks we have had so far. Students’ arms literally have to be peeled off their test papers. During water breaks kids gather around one of the two classroom fans, just embracing the small mercy it offers them. We hug our fans in Cambodia and cry “Hallelujah” when the state power returns.

 

I am so impressed with my students’ resilience as they cope with the additional discomfort they face with the heat. I think many kids could stand to learn from these young kids beautiful model of endurance (maybe many adults as well). I certainly feel humbled by the way that they preserve through the toughest of circumstances with laughter and smiles.

My students were so excited today as ice was bought so they can add it to their drink bottles. Teacher sanity has been motivated with bubble tea and a constant flow of AC in the teachers lounge. Wet towels are stored in the freezer, plus I have booked a swimming time for my class next week to have that added relief. It is the small things that keep us going, that make us laugh, give us joy and help us to endure. 

Tags: feeling hot, my brilliant class

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.