Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Ot jeh.

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 1 November 2011 | Views [108]

Cambodian students are not very confident at doing independent work or trying something new. I am daily met with a child, who I am encouraging to stretch themselves and their ability with the simple phrase “ot jeh”

“Ot jeh” basically means “can’t do” or “don’t know how to”. In a culture that does not want to lose face by doing something wrong it is a battle to get them to even try something different. They want to copy whatever is written on the board and thinking for yourself is not strongly taught in class. I have even observed teachers doing the work for the student so that they will get it right. That’s not learning!

What I ask is never beyond what they can try and do. Each student will be able to achieve the task at different levels of success, but having a go and trying is what I really desire. It helps me know what they really can do and what they need further assistance with. “Ot jeh” is not an acceptable phrase in my classroom as I know these students are capable of greater things.

Sometimes we need to change our “I don’t know how” to “what can I do?” Instead of being overwhelmed by the situation it could be a chance to be stretched and to think outside the box. Difficulties could be opportunities to creatively work on what you can do and learn more and more along the way. It is about being open before the Lord, acknowledging our fears and inabilities and allowing Him to use us for His good purpose.

Tags: challenges

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.