Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Outside the box

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 12 July 2011 | Views [102]

I absolutely love it when children think ‘outside the box’, when they let their creativity and thinking fly to new depths. Some of my best lessons have been born from students interpreting something creatively or thinking about things in a whole new way and I happily celebrate every inventive idea or insightful thought.

Today one of my Kindergarten students gave me my happy moment. I asked them to draw pictures based on the book we had just read “Flash the Fly”. There were two drawings for them to do, one with the fly flying through flowers and one with the fly flying through flames. My ‘outside the box’ thinker decided to go a step further with his illustrations, adding nets, fly spray and people trying to catch this super fast fly. His imagination was inspired and he was using this to fuel his work.

As well, another child added green grass and blue sky to her picture - which followed on from our lesson the previous day about colours. Wow these children are really getting it. They are starting to be creative and no longer asking their teachers to draw the pictures for them. I draw my poorly drawn pictures on the board and they feel empowered to draw just as good if not better (and usually their work is much better).

See Asian children can be creative and original in their work. They don’t need to copy, they can use the imaginative brains that God has given them to create wondrous things.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.