Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

That’s a whole lot of Naga

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 16 June 2011 | Views [142]

While dad has been visiting we have been sightseeing around Phnom Penh and enjoying taking random and silly photos. A common thing we seem to be stumbling upon in numerous candid shots is the seven headed snake. I know it is a culture symbol but what does it mean – that lead me to question “What’s a Naga?”

First of all the Cambodians believe that the Naga were reptile beings, with human traits, who ruled a large kingdom in the Pacific Ocean area. The Naga King’s daughter married an Indian Brahmana (spiritual person in Hinduism and Budhisium) named Kaundinya. This couple are called the ancestors of the Khmer people

There are so many seven headed Naga serpents statues at the wats (temples), on the bridges and around the Royal Palace. Nagas are often positioned as stone guardians of temples and other buildings. It is said to represent the seven races with the Naga society and also has mythology related to the seven colours of the rainbow. Further more Nagas with odd number of heads are suppose to represent males, infinity, timelessness and immortality and Nagas with even numbers represent female, physicality, mortality, temporality and the Earth. So they were significant mythological figures.

It’s just another reminder of the spiritual needs in this nation. Cambodians have been bought up with much spiritual teaching and mythology that causes fear and insecurity with the hearts of the people. These are not symbols of true freedom but rather something that binds and holds people back in darkness. It's interesting understanding the meaning behind these things. It is gives you a new appreciation for the need to "shine your light" so that Cambodia may no longer be a nation in darkness but know true freedom in Jesus.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.