Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Cambodian wedding - number 4

CAMBODIA | Monday, 6 June 2011 | Views [102]

Weddings are a common event here, always crowded with people and loads of food. There are so many smiling faces in one small place and everyone is dress up to the nines in amazing outfits (especially the ladies and their dresses covered in all that glitters). You can never feel over dress at a Cambodian wedding.

This wedding was to celebrate the marriage between Sophorn and Nary. These two are amazing and have been such an influence in so many peoples’ lives. Their bright big smiles and generous hearts are such a privilege to know as well as their great love for the Lord. I know they will have a blessed life together.  

At a Cambodian wedding it is not the morning events of the service and the actually getting married that attracts the crowds, but the reception – bit of a shift from our western thinking. Everyone is invited to the reception and this particular one had so many foreigners (ex-pats) that it was amazing. The tent was so full that we needed to wait for a group to leave before having dinner. Yep another difference is there is no need for the bride and groom to labour over seating arrangements and RSPCs, rather when you arrive you just join the next available table with the people who arrive at the same time as you.

Cambodian weddings are all about pelting the bride and groom with flowers. As the bridal party walk in (they have been standing at the entrance of the tent for about 3 hours greeting guests and handing out small gifts) the crowds throw handfuls of flowers and petals as the couples in the wedding party navigate their way to the front of the tent. Plus later on they were covered in confetti and silly string – their hair was a rightful mess after that.

This was also the first wedding I went to where the interview with the bride and groom was shared in Khmer and English. I am sure people who are fearful of public speaking may enjoy the Cambodian style of just asking the married couple to share a bit about their love story rather than having to hear speeches from the best man, father of the bride, maid of honour and the bride and groom. It’s a bit more informal and more personal. This couple’s story is so sweet and you can tell the two of them love each other so much.

I am so happy for these two and they will continue to be in my prayers. I look forward to hearing about the wonderful ways God will use them both.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.