Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

a beautiful exchange

CAMBODIA | Friday, 6 May 2011 | Views [240]

Cambodian people are so giving. It is part of their culture to share with others. Even if they do not have much they will share their last things with you just to show community and love.

My landlords are no exception to this rule. My parents have brought me up very well to pay the rent on time (even early). This has been interesting as my landlords usually don't tell me how much I owe (because electricity bill is included in my monthly rent) until 3-4 days after the rent it due. This delay can make me very anxious and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by them.

When I finally tracked them down last night (just 5 days after the rent was due), after walking up and down the stairs a couple of times to see if anyone was home, I received a pleasant exchange for my payment. Two beautiful mangoes and a meat roll (the meat roll I need to cleverly work out how to put in the bin - as that meat and my stomach will probably not be friends). Previously I have been given some bananas, a bottle of water and some durian. They have even offered to give me a ride to places.

They don't need to do anything for me, I'm not part of their family nor do I spend time with them socially, I am just the tenant. But here in Cambodia you are not "just the tenant" you are welcomed to take part in their community. Bit of a shift in thinking but maybe we can learn from this. To stop looking out for only those you know and blessing people you don't know. What a change we might see.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.