Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Cambodian Wedding – number two

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 17 March 2011 | Views [501]

Last week was International Women’s Rights Day here in Cambodia and what better way to celebrate the day then to have a wedding. Vandeth and Sotheara’s wedding to be exact.

It all started at 6:30am. Yep they start these things early. Well when I say start people started to arrive around 6:30 and about an hour later most people were there and ready to start the fruit walk. Each person is given a plate of fruit (or in my case a plate with a tin of biscuits on it) and then we all walk a bit down the road. You line up in two lines, next to the person who has the same item as you, back to the place where the wedding is being held. We are led by someone banging a gong and when we finally arrive at the location a few words are exchanged and a lay of flowers are placed around the bride and groom's necks. We then go inside, are handed a red envelope as a thanks, and the plates are neatly arranged on mats on the ground. The fruit ceremony continues inside. There is singing, music and talking which at times are amusing (but not understood by me as it’s all in Khmer).

We eat breakfast – a yummy rice soup at tables scattered all over the place, both inside and outside the church. We also get share a plate of the fruit with the people at our table. As it is International Women’s Rights day the ladies get served first.

Then it’s time for a dress change and the hair cutting ceremony. The hosts, a man and woman, tease and taunt the bridal party as they prepare of this important part of the wedding ceremony. This is an old tradition – in the past they really did cut the hair but now it is just a mock haircut.

Another dress change and some photos. Then onto another dress change and it’s time for the western(ish) part of the wedding ceremony. The bridal party are all dressed in white, white suits for the guys, white dresses for the girls. The groomsman walks the bride and groom’s parents down and then the bridesmaids. Vandeth walks down with Pastor Jesse. Next two children walk down the aisle (only in a Cambodian wedding would the boy with the flowers be wearing jeans) followed by the bride and her dad. In this part of the wedding rings are exchanged, candles are lit, communion is taken and feet are washed.

At night is when the true partying begins and the larger crowd arrives. The invitation might say the reception starts at 4:30pm but it’s best to turn up around 6ish. Cambodians know all about being fashionable late. You dress up in your best and defiantly don’t wear the same thing you wore in the morning. When you arrive you join a table of people who came at the same time as you and eat until you can’t eat no more.

Next you make the rounds of the other tables as you carefully zigzag your way around the room, not wanting to crash into waiters or trip over things that have spilt onto the floor. It truly is an art form. I see many friends, get in a few pictures and chat while others enjoy the food. There is some music and singing going on in the background to add to the wedding atmosphere.

Finally the bride, groom and bridal party enter the room where they are pelted with flowers. The MCs for the evening chat with the bride and group about how they met and other things. Then they cut the cake, the fruit is taken away by guests in the blink of an eye and the dancing begins. Sadly the AC was not working so the church hall became very hot and I wasn’t going to dance in that heat so I found a quiet space to take in the atmosphere from a distance.

It was wonderful to be able to share such a special day with some amazing people. I know this will not be the last wedding I go to here as they love to share these special events with everyone and anybody. It really is a great culture experience.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.