Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Happy Valentine's Day

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 15 February 2011 | Views [158]

Cambodians love love. They also love an excuse for a party....so let's celebrate Valentine's day. I was able to attend two Valentine's day parties as well as sharing a themed lesson with my classes about love.

The parties were a lot of fun...and a good oppitunity for outreach. Yes they may sing a sappy love song about the day, do crazy dramas, sell flowers and other things, share chocolates and candy....but it has a different meaning to the people I shared the day with than it does in the west. Love is deeper - not just romantic - and they want to celebrate that.

I did have a fun lesson with my classes. For pronunication I wrote up words on the board from 1 Cor 13:4-8a. Next we went through the pronunication of these words and what they mean. I then read the bible passage and stopped to point at one of the words on the board for the class to read. This was great for comparing worldly love to what true love is. I finish off by writing John 3:16 on the board, we read through it a number of times and I was able to join a link between God's true love....love from 1 Cor 13.

My classes at New Life School were great oppitunities for craft. You should have seen the students' faces as I brought out the 3D hearts and crayons. They were so quiet, colouring away, it was just great.

Love is not just for a day and it's not a warm and fuzzy feeling - it's much more than that. Let's not forget what love really is - a sacrifical choice to put another before yourself....now that's love.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.