Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Driving in the rain

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 6 August 2013 | Views [132]

Poncho all hung up to dry after my journey on the water logged streets of PP

Poncho all hung up to dry after my journey on the water logged streets of PP

Tonight was a chance to say a happy birthday to one friend and goodbye to another. I love spending time with these amazing ladies who live in Phnom Penh and wish I could hang out with them more often, but I HATE driving my moto in the rain.

As we were leaving the restaurant it was drizzling and I was considering whether I should just be lazy and forgo donning my cheap plastic poncho when the monsoon rain decided to really kick in. I was forced to squint as rain pelted into my face, like thousands of tiny needles hitting against my skin. Whatever position I tried to tilt the visor of my helmet, the vision was going to be minimal. So I keep on going travelling over streets blanketed with water.

The next challenge was to avoid the potholes hidden under the lakes which covered the road. In my lap a pool was starting to form in the craves of my poncho and now I am thankful I chose to wear it. Toul Kork is of course flooded and as I drive down one road teems of water splashes over my headlight. Dreading the thought of my moto engine getting flooded again at this late hour I veered right at the hospital car park and formulate an alternative route to my house. Lightening flashes across the sky as I continued, praying that I can make it home.

It’s moments like these when I miss having a car. Once I get home I strip off my soaked poncho, hang it up in a ghostly fashion so it can dry and empty my shoes of water. I know in about half an hour the rain will dwindle and all will be calm again but right now I’m just glad to be off my moto and out of the rain.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.