Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

Santa's Coming, Santa's Coming! I know him.

USA | Monday, 25 July 2011 | Views [355]

Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?

I visited the North Pole today! It was AWESOME. Shannon was not as amused as I, but I guess he has just grown up too much. I saw the largest Santa statue ever, sat in Santa's sleigh, practically pet the reindeer and even toured Santa Claus's House. And while doing all of this I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The weather is actually very pleasant in July in North Pole, Alaska. 

The town of North Pole is interesting to say the least. Streets are named Santa Claus Lane, St. Nicolas Drive Mistletoe Place and Reindeer Avenue, all the street lights are candy canes, and there was the first McDonald's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, KFC and Pizza Hut we have seen since the lower 48, over a week and over 2,500 miles south. I guess the subdivision was bought up and the name declared North Pole in the 50's in hopes that a toy manufacture would move in. What toy company would not want to claim they manufacture toys in North Pole, AK? I would open a toy company there.

Tags: christmas, north pole, santa claus

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.