Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

Second Largest City in Alaska

USA | Monday, 25 July 2011 | Views [520]

I've made it to Fairbanks! The Alaska Highway (connecting Alaska to the lower 48) was beautiful. The stretch through the Yukon was the most scenic thus far, or maybe that is just because I love the provinces' slogan; 'Larger than Life.' The road was rough through Canada, gravel sections, construction and frost heaves made it feel a little Baja-esk. Once over the border, back in America, back in Alaska, the road was smooth and easy sailing, better than any road around the Bay Area.

Once back in AK we put our ridiculously priced fishing licences to use. Believe it or not but in a land or sparse human population and tons of wildlife, they actually stock lakes. Fishing on Hidden Lake was a huge success with a half dozen Rainbow Trout over two days. Trout for three meals in a row was DELICIOUS. Unfortunately the streak did not continue; one day we attempted fishing at five different lakes, nothing. Nothing at all, not even a nibble. Dinner was canned tuna and rice that night. 

For anyone else traveling through AK, do not plan on any useful information from the Tok visitor center. When asking for hiking, fishing or camping from Tok to Delta Junction, we received a dumbfounded look from the help desk and the only information provided was the name of a road 50 miles in the WRONG DIRECTION. Arrgg. 

As far as Fairbanks, it is not what I was expecting, for Alaska's second largest city. There is no noticeable downtown. In an attempt to fill our bellies with pizza, we found next to nothing. The bar scene was described as 'meh,' when asking a local about a good hang out for the evening. But it seems to have a quiet charm. The waterfront along the Chena river is beautiful. And there was a small outdoor market this evening with music, arts and food in a little plaza. I guess I should just learn to expect the unexpected in Alaska. 

Must keep trekking, northbound I head, on to the Arctic Circle.

Tags: fishing, on the road

 

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.