Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

I drove the Alaska Marine Highway

USA | Monday, 18 July 2011 | Views [385]

First off I will start by stating my extreme fondness for ferry rides. Being on the open water, wind blowing your hair back, the freedom to move around, and the smell of the sea make ferry's the best form of transportation around. Thus you can properly assume that I enjoyed this ferry ride; four days from Bellingsham, WA to Haines, AK but the traditional high points of a ferry ride were just minor footnotes of goodness on this adventure.

The highlight of this ride, cannot be determined, there are too many. Asking Shannon he claims the sight of a whale breaching and slashing around. However, I also rank the second nights prolonged sunset, dolphins playing in the boats wake, a tin outboard jumping the ferry's wake like a jet-ski, swimming in Wrangell, AK, camping in the 'solarium,' meeting native Alaskans, an interesting bar with 70's Vegas decor, views of glaciers, waterfalls and snow capped mountains, plenty of bald eagle sightings and the fact that it transported me over 1500 miles north to Haines, AK; all of those moments and more could easily be the highlight of this ferry ride.

If you ever have a chance to drive this highway, do it, it is an excellent roadtrip!

Tags: camping, ferry, sightseeing

 

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.