Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

In the beginning...

USA | Monday, 11 July 2011 | Views [201]

Start: Mountain View, CA - 7/11/2011

Next known destination: Bellingham, WA - 7/15/2011

After that: Alaska Marine Highway Ferry to Haines, AK

What's next: We'll find out as it happens.

I want to be poetic without the cliches to start my journal documenting the next few months of traveling. However, that seems to be mute as all I can think of are "Two roads diverge in a yellow wood" and "not all who wander are lost." I sit in the dark on a couch in Mountain View, CA. Shannon and I depart in the morning, driving north. I am feel only a little of the nervous excitement that I've held in the past. The worrisome nerves that you might have forgot to pack something, the nerves of the unknown and unplanned adventures. But I have wandered before and in some sense I know what I am getting into. This couch will be the most comfortable nights rest I have in a long time. Peanut butter and jelly will be staples in my diet. At first they will be nostalgic of childhood and previous journeys, then at some-point they will transition to tasteless sustenance. Hopefully by then I am grilling freshly caught salmon every night for dinner. I worry about the people I will not see or talk to for long periods of time. An uneasiness of being alone and isolated sets in. I am dead tired and with an early morning and big day ahead of me I should get some sleep but I do not want to lay my head down.  The anticipation has caught up to me. I just want to scream out a big 'hell yeah!' It's all happening.

 

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.