Existing Member?

Maz's Adventures My experiences of South America, New Zealand, Australia, South East Asia and China.

The worlds most dangerous road

BOLIVIA | Saturday, 2 September 2006 | Views [32336] | Comments [5]

Danger, danger high voltage!

Danger, danger high voltage!

I think the photos speak volumes about this ride. In Bolivia a hour drive out of La Paz, it started up at 4700m, freezing cold with a 65k decent to 1400m in the jungle to Yalumba. Starting the ride rugged up, fleeced up on tarmac. Smooth road that you flew down. Stopping occasionally to look ove the edge and witness the destruction that lay below, burned out buses that flew off the edges. Whilst riding down you have to ride onthe outside. Up coming traffic has the right of way. When the tarmac ran out at about 20k, you were down graded to dirt trail 3 meters wide and a basic highway for all traffic travelling into the Amazon Basin into Brazil. With numerous drugs check points to pass, looking for the obvious cocaine related paraphenalia, not coca leaves, the chemicals used to make it. The dust was unreal and i couldnt see at times when i was behind a truck kicking up dirt. We wore dust masks and goggles which without them it would be impossible. Did the ride with a company called Gravity assisted mountain biking. Kiwi owned so it has a good rep and hasnt killed anyone since it started the rides. 5 hours later we finally arrived at our hotel, dirty is not the word, and our hotel was amazing with a pool, sauna, breathtaking views to boot. Which is a real break fromt he dirty, freezing, smoggy, crazy world of La Paz. 

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Hi, i am travelling to South America on my own in March and intend on doing this mountain bike trek.

Is it ok if i dont pre book- how far in advance would i have to book, a day or two? Im thinking of just booking once i get to La Paz. this isnt dodgy is it- i can easily find a tourist place and book in cant i????

thanks
Kylie
:)

  Kylie McCarthy Oct 10, 2006 11:38 AM

2

i am from bolivia and i live in the uk in manchester. i have been in that road many times by bus.

  ivan delgado Jan 2, 2007 7:33 AM

3

i am from bolivia and i live in the uk in manchester. i have been in that road many times by bus.

  ivan delgado Jan 2, 2007 7:33 AM

4

how to help these dayz/

  rupamsil Nov 7, 2008 6:43 AM

5

Omfg thats so scary, and if thats dangerous why is there still cars or ppl wtf?!

  Lexii Jan 5, 2010 5:22 AM

About mcgurk77

Washing my feet in the river after the first afternoon of treking

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.