Existing Member?

Matt & Mercaders - The World Tour

Florence

ITALY | Friday, 15 August 2008 | Views [3673] | Comments [3]

Florence is home of the paintings of Botticelli, the sculptures of Michaelangelo and also some renowned architecture (sorry, didn't pick up the names). It is also the capital of the region of Tuscany and home of Dr. Lecter in the film Hannibal.

Florence has an incredible amount of cultural significance but, to us at least, it was bit of a let down. It feels shameful to admit it but that is how we felt. In contrast to Venice Florence seems a bit grubby. It could be better presented. Tidy itself up a bit. Try a little harder.

Tuscany as a region is a much better prospect. A good month tour at some stage in the future has been added to the to-do list. It has a good balance; skiing to the north; coast to the west; chianti wine region to the south. Perfect. Italian midlands 1, English midlands 0.

Back to Florence and our highlights were the remarkable views from Piazzo Michaelangelo, the Ufizzi museum, and Michaelangelo's David (of Goliath fame). I'm not a sculpture buff but I was won over. It's hard to put your finger on why but it's larger than you would expect and there is a ludicrous level of detail. It's regarded as having perfect proportions. On this point I disagree, at least for David's sake.

Next stop Rome. We move on with some positive memories of Florence but regretful of the distinct lack of wow factor. My recommendation - Hannibal Lecter museum. But that just my opinion.

 

Comments

1

Hey guys

Sounding awesome so far - soo jealous of your travels and you've only just begun! So far Paris great fun, Avoid sleeper trains, Venice is amazing and Florence must try harder. All tips I'll bear in mind for any future travels.

Hopefully catch up with you both when you make it down under I'll be there in 4 weeks!

Loving the updates - keep em coming!

Duncan

  duncan petit Aug 15, 2008 8:30 PM

2

Loving the updates Blants and if it wasn't for the fact that I've been glued to iPlayer and the Olympics all day every day, I would be very jealous. However I know you'll be missing the constant chat about obscure sports, Britain's latest success and how much better than the Aussies we are. It's a small consolation for not travelling round the world, but it's all I've got.

Thought it was a bit harsh to compare Tuscany to the Midlands - it's a bit like being surprised when Lazio beat Accrington Stanley in a pre-season friendly.

Anyway, I must go and watch the 2nd heat of the women's Hammer throwing. Keep having fun.

Ben

PS apologies for the lack of hair loss jokes - I'll try harder next time

  Ben Duke Aug 21, 2008 1:18 AM

3

very funny blogs guys, but..............i have one complaint i want more photos - more photos i tell you!!!!!!!xxxxx

  Ollie Mercado Aug 23, 2008 2:26 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.