Existing Member?

Matt & Mercaders - The World Tour

Venezia!

ITALY | Friday, 15 August 2008 | Views [801]

Now, we all know that Venice is built on water. However, nothing can prepare you for what it's actually like when you get there. As we walked out of the station we were confronted by a sea of water, stretched out in front of us for as far as we could see. There was not a road or pavement in sight. So, fresh (!) from the sleeper train we find ourselves boarding a large boat which is essentially the equivalent of a bus. That's the thing about Venice, people still need to get around, but instead of taxis there are boats and instead of buses there are big boats - even the houses have boats parked outside in place of cars! I don't think you really notice the relaxing atmosphere this creates - and the lack of noise and pollution - until after you leave.

Venice saw the beginning of proper budgeting for us - we decided to put the fabulous over expenditure of Paris behind us and start again! I've really got into budgeting - some may say I've got my father's blood running through my veins! Once I knew our daily budget I became hyper-aware of every Euro we spent - much to Matt's dismay as his claim on arrival in Italy was that he was going to eat pizza for every single meal.

After two days of exploring in boiling temperatures we were ready for some serious sunbathing. So off we set for the nearest park, bikini and trunks at the ready! However, if we were expecting the equivalent of Acton Green round the corner, where we could join the rest of the Brits, stripped to the bare minimum greedily soaking up the rays, we were wrong. Despite the golden tans all around, sunbathing does not seem to be an activity in Italian city parks. Reading, picnics, jogging, romantic cuddling, even weight lifting all seem to be indulged in, but sunbathing? No. Clearly that didn't stop us, so off came our tops, up rolled our bottoms and we were away!

And so our stay in this city on the water came to an end. Contrary to popular belief, Venice is not a smelly place. It is actually very charming and friendly and really rather special. It's definitely one of my faves so far.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.