Existing Member?

Passing through... We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves--Pico Iyer---Passing through from Europe to Africa to Asia to Oceania etc.& back again! 9 mos. of dreaming and exploring!

Pondicherry---Auroville

INDIA | Tuesday, 12 March 2013 | Views [390]

Imagine a place where people of all nations live in unity and harmony; where no political troubles exist; where people live and do what they want; where sustainable resources are utilized all the time; and where a massive gold 'golf ball' looking object surrounded by lotus shaped green grass surrounds the complex. Confused? Naturally.....
Welcome to Auroville. A community created in the 1970s about 12km outside of Pondicherry. A community created by 'the mother'-- a French woman with a paramount vision of uniting us all in peace & harmony. Sound far fetched? Well it exists! And you can learn all about it at their visitor centre--how it got started, who is there, what they are doing, how does it all work? 
I have given you the basic premise but ill detail a bit. Auroville is a community of just over 2000 people from 43 countries that have chosen to live in the community. They essentially do what they want when in the community, but this comprises many extracurricular, culturally relevant volunteering and learning. In order to be a part of the community you must be engaged in it and you build your own house or pay for your stay. Everyone is welcome and religion is not a factor. It all sounds a bit 'pleasantville-ish' but the idea is beautiful. But the whole 'mother' thing and gold ball throws you off a bit....
In the center of the town is a gold ball that resembles a skin of lotus flowers, as well as an encompassing green landscapes that resembles petals surrounding it. It is quite surreal. You are walking through a hot, thinly lined tree line and in the distance you have this massive ball---bigger than a hot air balloon, it looks like a UFO!!! Inside (which we only saw from pictures because you are not allowed to go inside unless you stay with the community for a few days) there is an aura of meditation. The inner tiles are flooded with soft pink LED lighting and white stairs lead you to the top. At the top you are requested to remove your shoes, put in clean socks, and then you can enter the crystal chamber that is covered in white plush carpet. This carpet surrounds a crystal that dominates the center of the room and is lit up by natural sunlight coming through the roof. Definitely looks like Star Trek! The whole thing was constructed in the 1970s under 'the mothers' guidance. Let me say, it definitely has an effect....!
 
We toured the grounds, read about the whole thing, ate at the organic (and expensive !) restaurant and got to see the gold ball. All in all an eventful day! I don't want to write out all of the details about this place, so if you want the nitty gritty I suggest you read up on it---a fascinating read for sure!!
 
We ended up going there because it is considered a must see place in the region, and we also learned about it from our cousin who had actually been inside the gold ball! She also thinks it looks like a UFO :P
My impressions of it are mixed. When we first got there I began with reading the history & multiculturalism of the place which was touching. The whole effort with sustainable energy is also great. But the whole gold ball & crystal thing was quite weird, and watching the video about its making was even more weird. The video sounded cultish and rehearsed....
In the end the food was good, the idea is great & I admire that initiative. However, the gold ball is just to much :P
...it looks like hippie flower power of the 60s took a strong hold here :P I bet some of you would join! :) peace & love is what it's all about right??

Tags: feel the love- rudimental feat. john newman

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.