Existing Member?

Passing through... We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves--Pico Iyer---Passing through from Europe to Africa to Asia to Oceania etc.& back again! 9 mos. of dreaming and exploring!

Thaiand......Krabi & Ko Phi Phi

THAILAND | Saturday, 15 December 2012 | Views [187]

 

Krabi was a cheap town for just about everything. We could do a full dinner with snacks at night markets for $3 for the 2 of us total! Our hostel was $7/ night & we rented another motorbike for $6/day to get around. However, the first day after we got there we did the trip to ko phi phi. We left the hostel at 8am and got on a motorboat at Ao Nang beach. The schedule for the day involved 3 islands: bamboo Island (fairly secluded), ko pi pi don (the biggest island in the area & the only one where you can actually stay the night) & ko pi pi lei (where the famous maya beach is that 'The Beach' was filmed on). We got to swim or snorkel at each one of these spots. Maya beach is incredibly beautiful but it's hard to appreciate it because it's so packed with tourists! I bet there are similar looking stretches of beach in the area that are much more secluded. Nonetheless, a place you have to see at least once in your life..... A picture can't do it justice! We ate lunch on the big island & I have to admit it was the first time in Thailand that I didn't like buffet. Probably because it wasn't spicy. Thai food is meant to be spicy, you just can't make it bland, it's not the same thing!! My palate just needs the spice I guess!
We stopped at monkey bay to snorkel (not to see monkeys goofing around on the beach which is also a popular thing to do there). It was the best snorkeling I've ever done! Fish were EVERYWHERE! Schools of fish just swimming around me, squids shooting by....so colorful!! Best part of the day trip for sure. We got back to the hostel at 5pm & went to an evening/night market down the street to eat some good cheap street food. We found a muslim/halal food place really welcoming to tourists so we ate there for $1.50/person! It was really good ! Southeast Asia really is the king of street food! After dinner we walked around a bit & found another big night market with tons of street food, arts & crafts, and a stage with young kids break dancing to gangnam style & singing karaoke :P it was such a cool atmosphere ! The next day we had the same for dinner because it was just so good & cheap! We also rented a motorbike for the day (mind you, they also drive British here just like in Malaysia & Tanzania!). The roads were busier here & the experience was a bit more stressful this time around because we got lost looking for Ao Nang beach. We eventually found it ...hadn't read for pleasure in a while so it was nice to relax on the beach and read..

Tags: temper trap- sweet disposition

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.