Existing Member?

Passing through... We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves--Pico Iyer---Passing through from Europe to Africa to Asia to Oceania etc.& back again! 9 mos. of dreaming and exploring!

Tanzania....day to day

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 14 November 2012 | Views [199]

 

So far the food here has not caused me any problems. My mom called the other day and was very curious what we were eating here. She happened to call me after I had made some rice and vegetable stir fry so I told her about that. The food here is nothing exciting. It doesn’t excite my taste buds but we get as creative as we can. We buy fresh vegatables and fruit from the local market- eggplant, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, onions, mango, etc and mix these ingredients with rice or pasta. Or we eat at the canteen (ie. Cafeteria) and that involves meat and rice and sometimes veggies. We get some good butter and cheese from a local women’s cooperative group –women who are widowed have set up their own dairy store ---the gouda cheese they make is very good! We don’t buy our own meat to cook because the only meat that we can buy are from local butchery’s where the meat just hangs outside the store—not a very sanitary picture. So we are almost vegetarians this month :P Otherwise, we picked up a few more items from the grocery store in Moshi like olive oil, tomato paste, chickpeas, nutella spread, tuna and coffee. I haven’t had any bowel troubles as of yet, but we make sure to drink bottled water only and cook most things to make sure its safe. The tap water around Mt. Kilimanjaro is supposed to be safe to drink because it comes from streams high up on the mountain, but we stick with bottled water anyways.

We are in the process of planning a 4 day safari trip to the Serengeti and a climb on Mount Kilimanjaro…..quite the adventure ahead! We have also booked our flight to Zanzibar at the end of the month for a few days before we leave Tanzania. That should be an entirely different experience from our month on the Northwest side of the country.

 

Faith…

Being in this Lutheran hospital setting, it becomes very obvious how important religion is to every Tanzanian. No matter what religion they follow, everything is based on faith in a setting like this. Whether it’s a mother praying during a delivery or a minibus posting the sign “In God we trust” you feel the spirit in the air. Every day we hear the choir (or just some friends) singing songs or hymns.  A jungle atmosphere below Kilimanjaro filled with song and faith…..in a hospital setting…

It makes you wonder. The main faith/god in North America is money. It tends to run the show. Not to say that here people don’t need or want money, but the lack of it seems to carry their faith in a different direction. This just feels like a more spiritual and true place. Close to nature, far from the luxuries of the first world, community sharing, and an incredibly strong devotion to God. It is very different from anything  I have experienced before. The singing is my favourite. The atmosphere is also very pleasant. I am hoping for a peaceful, quiet, yet adventurous month here.

 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.