Existing Member?

Passing through... We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves--Pico Iyer---Passing through from Europe to Africa to Asia to Oceania etc.& back again! 9 mos. of dreaming and exploring!

Southern Poland...

POLAND | Tuesday, 30 October 2012 | Views [408]

I realize the last time I wrote was right after our south of France adventure. That was just over a week ago, and needless to say we have been going at an even faster pace this week. In roughly 1 week we covered a bunch of cities in Poland: Krakow/Zagnansk/Starachowice/Poznan.  Some of these places we did as a quick tourist attraction, but most were family related.

                We spent about a day in Warsaw before we headed to Krakow by train. I took Monica’s advice and checked out airbnb.com to look for short term apartment rentals. It’s a great website alternative to expensive hotels or not-so-comfortable (but cheap) hostels. It’s an in-between option because you rent out your own apartment for a smaller fee than a hotel.  Sometimes you are with other people and sometimes you’ve got the place to yourself. And sometimes you have to find your own towel :P  We found a place right in old town- a cute attic apartment with a balcony and some pleasant company. Turns out the girl who takes care of the place knows my cousin due to similar interests—small world! We spent that evening walking around Krakow at dusk—the old town, Wawel castle….it was a beautiful fall day. We ate at this great Ukrainian restaurant (recommended by TripAdvisor.com) located in old town in a basement cellar (in a ‘kamienica’). The atmosphere was great. We had some ‘electric tea’ to start—we got tea with honey and 2 shots of vodka that you pour inside—1 cherry flavored and another just straight—good old eastern European traditions ;) The meal was also great –typical beef stew in a bread bowl- was amazing! While we were there, a reservation filled up next to us –it was a Ukrainian church group and it just livened up the atmosphere. They sang hymns and prayers when their drinks arrived and it really added to the ambiance of the place. We ordered more tea…..

                The next day we met up with my uncle and cousin so we could all go to the Wieliczka Salt Mine just outside of Krakow. I remember going there as a child. You go underground around 300m to check out the interior of the mine. There you find carvings and architecture all made of salt. It’s a really cool, murky, eerie dark place—but I had better memories of it as a kid because I noticed on this trip that it has become a lot more “touristy” and they even have AC down there now—so that dark, spooky atmosphere is no longer there…..it’s too bad when great things become overdone…but I still remember the chapel part with its beautiful chandeliers and carvings- they have Sunday masses there underground! The whole tour lasts about 3 hours ….

We left to Zagnansk from there with my uncle and little cousin to spend a few days with them. It’s a small town/village surrounded by beautiful forests. It’s a calm and relaxing place. I enjoyed going there as a child. The next evening my uncle drove us to Tom’s hometown Starachowice (its only about 40km from Zagnansk)---funny that Tom and I both have family so close to one another in Poland :P

We spent 4 days in Starachowice. My first impression of the place is that it looks like a typical eastern European industrial town—which it is. It used to be more populated but some companies came and went and people need work so they moved with them. There are some cities in Poland that you go to and all you see is immense growth. Unfortunately, Starachowice is not one of those places. The place kind of made me sad to be honest……in some places you see revival and in others stagnation…

Tom has a lot of family there. We stayed with his aunt’s family---she is very sweet and likes to smother- i was constantly being stuffed with food!! I think I gained 20lbs in 3 days! She really likes to feed! It reminds me of my grandma, always hovering over me with a pan of extra food once I finished plate #1. Bless her, she was an amazing woman. They were both amazing grandma’s….I couldn’t have asked for better. Rest in peace.

Every day in Starachowice felt crazy. Every day involved a different chunk of Tom’s family, dining room tables covered from corner to corner with more food than I could handle, and bottomless vodka bottles. Every day I ate about 1 ton of food (it felt like all I did was eat!) and downed vodka shot after vodka shot! I forgot just how much eastern Europeans can drink! It’s absolutely insane! The atmosphere was very pleasant and Tom has a very dynamic and comedic family! I really enjoyed them!  They brought me to near exhaustion but I have some great memories! On Oct. 22nd we celebrated Tom’s grandpas 89th birthday. Tom’s aunt made grandpa a cake and also a cake for Tom as a late birthday present. It was absolutely adorable to see Tom sitting at one end of the dining room table with his “30th” cake and his grandpa across from him with his “89th” cake. Grandpa blew out his candles first! What a moment-- I know Tom will cherish it always:) It was a fun 4 days but I feel like I can’t keep up with his family! Quite the energetic bunch!  I’m very happy Tom brought me there and showed me his hometown world.  Thanks for the hospitality!!! Much appreciated :)

Tags: tracy chapman- fast car

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.