Existing Member?

Passing through... We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves--Pico Iyer---Passing through from Europe to Africa to Asia to Oceania etc.& back again! 9 mos. of dreaming and exploring!

Bangkok again

THAILAND | Wednesday, 1 May 2013 | Views [293]

We had one more day in Bangkok when we came back from Myanmar, before we would take a bus to Cambodia. We arrived in Bangkok on time as scheduled from Mandalay and our first order of business was to figure out how we were getting to Cambodia the next day (more on this in the next post). After that was organized, Tom was craving street food so ofcourse we had some munchies before meeting up with Des again! Luckily, Des was still in town before she had to leave for a work trip the next day, but David was away golfing (it is a full time job after all!!). We hung out at Des' apartment for a bit, admiring the spectacular view of Bangkok from her balcony!   Then Des brought us to her favourite 'street of food' right near her place---our night of foodie bliss began!! We started at a converted gas station across the street loaded with an array of food stalls ---snacks, dinner, drinks, you name it!!! we got some fruit juices & snacks there, anticipating to eat dinner down the street at Des' favourite street stall, where we had a Hong Kong style noodle soup, sitting down right next to the owner while he rolled up some beef noodles. He was an elderly man, very eager to chat with us! He was such a cute old man, eagerly giving us a rudimentary Thai language lesson--everything from doctor to woman to noodle!  He told us about his kids and his interests. Des said she had never heard him talk so much. He was absolutely precious, and I could have sat there all night in his company:) After filling up on yet another noodle soup, the food excitement was anything but over. We found a stall with mini donuts and helped ourselves to a box before going into Des' favourite bakery and getting more baked goods!! I said it was foodie heaven!! My mouth waters just thinking about it again!! Once we were too full to continue our food journey, we opted to find a night market nearby--this time not for food!! After a bit of asking around we found one--lots of clothes and shoes in the cheap!! Problem with the Thai markets is the risk that nothing will fit!! The women here are so tiny that I have been told on random occasions that I need an extra large ?!?!? So, as nice as some of the stuff was, I decided not to risk buying anything, for size reasons and for baggage reasons!
Our bus to Cambodia was at 8 am the next day, so after our foodie & night market adventures, we called it quits. I really like the craziness of Bangkok & I really enjoyed catching up with Des--- it's so amazing to have great friends in the world & to have that time together after such a long pause!!  I love that this random get-together happened and cannot wait to see her in St. John's ;)
Tom & I are truly blessed with the old and new friends we have in this world!!! The amazing people in our lives is what makes this trip so unforgettable!!!  Meeting everyone along the way, & being able to catch up, when we are all often too busy to do so!!! Makes me so happy to reconnect and re-evaluate the great family & friendships in our lives!!! Don't worry, we also miss all of you that we couldn't meet up with, & we miss you all back in St. John's too!!! :)

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.