Existing Member?

trust, love, and the unknown Ongoing with no expected outcome!

Varanasi - Until Death do us part:)

USA | Thursday, 1 January 2009 | Views [393] | Comments [1]

The long awaited fairytale story....

It was christmas morning and Kurtis and I woke up at 5:30 and crawled out of our mosquito net cozy bed to find our way down to the Ghats. We planned to have a sunrise boatride on Christmas morning....and Suspiciously Kurtis was really pushing for us to get out of bed:)

On the way down 2 smart little children caught us in our sleepiness and we bought 2 floating leaf bowls with candles and flowers in them. We walked down and found our boat driver, did some negotiation and hopped in. The sky was dark with stars sparkling and the moon was shining gold in it last phase before the new moon. We set off while fires were burning and shadows of dancing and praying holy men and devotees and families faded off and became smaller and smaller. It was so peaceful and one of the few times we actually were alone in India outside our guest house rooms.

As the boat rower took us down the Ganges river we got acquainted with one another asking about where we were from and our families and of course for the billionith time since we have been in India he asked us if we were married. We told him not yet...usually we said yes. After a while of being told about the different ghats and fun facts of India the boat rower suggested that we light our candles and place them in the water. He explained that we were to put the intention of good wishes and blessings to our family and it will bring good Kharma to all. IT was very beautiful and seem so perfect that we were doing this ritual on Christmas morning. I felt so much love in my heart and all around me during this moment and felt all my family with me as I was about to have a realy significant thing happen in my life. My heart split open and I began to cry as I placed the candle in the water next to Kurtis's and watched it float out under the moon. At that moment I just felt the love and the blessings from the whole world.

Shortly after Kutris got down on his knee and said he had an important question to ask me. It was so sweet as he trembled and looked me in the eyes placed his hand and the ring in mine and asked me to marry him. I bursted and I said "Oh my god!" "Of course" and then an official "Yes, I would be honored".

We shared the news with the boat driver as to what just happened and he was SOOOO EXCITED!!!! He told everybody as we pulled up to the main burning ghat and took us for Chai at his favorite Chai stand. It was and still is such a feeling of joy, freedom and relief to know that I will be spending the rest of my life with such an amazing, caring, honorable, loving, joyful, spirited, sweet, fun, wise man. My heart is safe.

We were sent back by the rising sun, big bright and pink/red, and  on our return ride up the river we were visited by thousands of birds that flew all around us and over the sparkling water. It was just out of a faitry tale.

The whole day was perfect as we enjoyed each other, shared news with people, strolled along the river, had great food, relxed, spent time with locals, watch children play and animals graze and embraced all the love and spirit that exist in Varanasi - a place that will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Comments

1

Thats Awesome Jen.. Congratulations :)

  Matt Mullarkey Jan 3, 2009 10:51 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.