Existing Member?

trust, love, and the unknown Ongoing with no expected outcome!

Part 2 - Sikkim Smiles

USA | Sunday, 14 December 2008 | Views [311] | Comments [1]

Someone told me yesterday that Sikkim originally came from a word that means land of smiles. I am not sure if it is because of the altitude, the local millet alcohol or the views but it is true in general the people here are very kind and very happy. As always leaving a place takes lot of time patience. The day begins getting up early, getting a meal, walking lots of hills with a big back pack and waiting in a sea of jeeps while they wait for enough people going where you want to go to fill the jeep. I waited about an hour or so watching the people and the culture and making small talk with a young hip India. My travels to Sikkim began as I shared a jeep for 5 hours through tea plantation and mountain roads coming to Pelling. The time was passed well with Hindi Music, eating some fresh bananas, admiring beautiful views and a paper passing game with a little girl...whose older brother was the hip one. A very nice family and some teenage girls sitting in the back row of the stadium seats. Total 10 people and a driver. The ride was long and bumpy and the last bit a man was chewing and snapping his gum loudly in my ear....now I understand why it annoyed my family so much in a car as a teenager.

We finally arrived in Pelling and I get off at the first Hotel at the top, recommended by Chrissy. Hotel Kabur had a cozy lodge, decorated well with Tibetan artifacts and a friendly welcoming staff. I let them know who sent me, did a little bargaining, and settled into my new room. I was ready to relax in the lodge by the fire, look at the views and read a book or a day or two. After traveling with people for a while it is always nice to regroup and have alone time....but of course your never alone for too long. I went up t the lodge and shared a meal with an Indian and his wife. He runs a 24hr fitness in South India and was one of the people who began to spread a new kind of yoga: Laughing Yoga - true!

Well as the day went on and I wondered about, checked in with email I came back to the lodge to read some more and have dinner. Soon some people walked through the door and with in a few hours we were all singing songs to Manoj's guitar and I am invited to join a private tour to Yuksom the next day. As they say in India: Why Not!

I have been fortunate enough to stumble into a circle of people who know everybody and everything about India and are caring, loving, helpful, and full of smiles!!!! A net that I continue to swim in and out of as I travel through Sikkim.

Part 3 From Village to Village and peace along the way

Comments

1

I really like the way u said it land of smiles....truly Sikkim should be the land of smile.

http://sikkim-himalayanreview.blogspot.com/

  Shital Dec 14, 2008 8:36 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.