Existing Member?

Lolo's Travels

Cruising the Yangtze in (relative) Style

CHINA | Tuesday, 4 April 2006 | Views [787]

So, my cruise is over and done with.  I have to admit ~ although I don't regret it at all, I will not remember it as one of my favourite Chinese experiences.  That said, I did enjoy myself.  On my last night in Lhasa, I ended up meeting a dutch girl named Renee who was also flying back to Chengdu and wanted to do the cruise, so we booked together.  The best thing about this is being assured some company on a tour boat that is otherwise packed with avid Chinese tourists.  I'm beginning to think they might be the worst kind!!
In retrospect, booking 2nd class might have turned out far worse than it actually did.  I guess someones watching out for me up there.  At the time, the Y500 difference in price made me choose the lesser class.  Renee and I ended up with a very nice, young couple who spoke incredible english ~ Johnson and Audrey ~ they took great care of us throughout the 3-day excursion.  Everything from making sure we were well fed in the restaurant, to helping carry my bag aboard, to translating what our tour guide was saying....they went the extra mile for sure, and the trip would have been far different without their company.
The whole thing started off on the wrong foot ~ Renee and I took a cab to the grocery store in Chongqing, where the boat leaves from, in order to stock up on snacks and stuff ~ and then could NOT find a taxi that would pick up 2 foreigners.  So here we are in an absolute ARMPIT of a town (apologies if you have a particular affinity for Chongqing...but it was awful.......), with bags of heavy groceries on our arms, a small crowd of lackadaisical Chinese gathering to snicker at our predicament as we flounder on the side of the road.  Waving for cabs that drive past, then proceed to pick up a chinese fair not 2 metres down the road, is a very demeaning experience. 
Maybe if I'd been in a better mood to start with it might have been ok....but I was hot, frustrated, and close to tears.  All we could think of was how we had no idea of where we were, and the boat leaves in 1.5hours, and we can't find a cab.  Finally, in desperation, I walked up to a man with the hotel card in hand, tears in my eyes, and VERY pathetically begged in AWFUL chinglish for him to help us. Lots of pointing and charades.... Sounded something like..."Me....Here (point to card)....please help??? (sob sob)"  Notrhing like putting on a show for the gathering crowds!
Thank god, he got up and led the way for us, for which we rewarded him with Y10 (what would have been the cab fare).   It was a convaluded route, too ~ lots of twists and turns, staircases, etc....we'd never have found it alone.  Duh.  It was my first true 'i hate china' experience.  I was convinced I would fly straight to Bangkok as soon as I got off the boat.  ( I didnt'.)
Blah, blah.  Things got better.  The cabin was tiny but cozy with our little crew, and since I hadn't paid for any extra excursions, I got some space to myself whenever Renee, Johnson, and Audrey left the boat to check out temples, waterfalls, and the like.
The one excursion I did sign up for was the tour of the Lesser 3 Gorges and Mini 3 Gorges.  They were spectacular.  We took a WAY smaller boat to the lesser gorges, and then wee sampans through the mini gorges.  The water was turquoise, the sky was pretty clear, and the cliffs were amazing. Everyone was in great spririts as well, lots of singing and laughing.  Even in Chinese, the energy was contagious. 
 There were lots of huge white signs showing where the water level will rise to once the dam is completed ~ flooding an area the size of Singapore and backing the river up 550km.  At 185m high and 2km wide, it'll be the biggest dam in the world, with an energy production equivalent to 18 nuclear power plants.  I guess the price you pay for this is pretty high ~ the homes of about 2 million people will be wiped out by the flooding, and if the dam were ever to burst, the lives of close to 6 million would be at stake ~ dead within the hour.
I thought the most impressive part of it, though, was going through the 5 locks of the dam.  My claustrophobic tendencies really kicked in, despite the massive size of the thing.  Just the looming walls and the fact of being closed in, I guess.  But it definately finished off the cruise right ~ we had passed through the dam by 1am, and were off the boat at 6:30am. 
For me, that was just the beginning though.....I immediately hopped on a bus to Wuhan (6hours) and from there, a train to Shanghai (20hours).  My visa is running out April 12th, so I have to cover some ground now!
Anyways, that was the cruise.  Sorry it wasn't more exciting.  But....was more a lesson in Chinese culture (watching them spit on the table while eating...mmmmm) than anything else. 
Hope all is well with all of you...
xo Laura

Tags: I should have known better!

About lolo

Me at CKS Intl. Airport, very bored.  I was there from about 12midnight until my flight to Singapore, about 7am.  Ha ha, and also ~ you can see up my nose!  (but I still like this pic....)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.