Existing Member?

Lolo's Travels

The Shack...

CHINA | Wednesday, 1 March 2006 | Views [928]

         So, I spent last weekend out in the countryside, experiencing the Great Wall in a quiet and peaceful setting ~ from what i've been told, a far cry from the touristy sections closer to Beijing.  One of Skotty's friends owns a place in a little village which is literally encompassed on 3 sides by the wall ~ they call it "the shack".  Its definately no palace; therein lies its charm!!!!  The main feature of the shack is the traditional 'kang' ~ a bed which runs the length of the room, sleeps about 10 comfortably, and is heated from below by a fire.  The heat is transmitted via firestone, which lines the structure.  A fire only needs to burn for half an hour in the morning, and half an hour at night to keep the kang toasty warm around the clock.
       There were 6 of us up there that weekend, and on my first morning I hiked up to the Wall with Andrea....it was incredible.  Never mind the fact that, sadly, the hike up was pretty difficult, reaching the top and being able to look around and see the wall snaking off over the mountain peaks was pretty amazing. 
      I've decided to stay on in Beijing until Saturday night ~ I'm staying with Caitlin and Alex now, and they have an extensive dvd collection...ahah.  I've become addicted to "6 Feet Under" in the past couple of days, let me tell you.  Caitlin has promised to take me shopping on Saturday, after a dim sum breakfast.  She knows all the best places for dvds, jeans (yeah fake 7s!!, for $12), bags, and souvenirs.  Although, I'm mostly interested in the jeans....I can't understand why I didn't take Gypsys advice and bring a pair.  I'm definately kicking myself for that. 
        Yesterday I went out to an electronics market with Skotty, to get another battery for my camera, and another memory card ~ I came home with a couple of webcams and a wireless mouse.  Um....maybe I need to buy a computer next.....
The market was mind-boggling.  Literally 8 or 9 buildings, 4 or 5 floors each, cram-packed with any and everything electronic you could think of.  Its meant to be the largest such market in all of Asia, and I can believe it.  You can easily get lost in there...and you barter for everything!  I think I could get used to Beijing....that is, if the air pollution problem could be fixed....
        Last night was goodbye party for Skotty, as he leaves China on Friday.  Its been prettty neat experiencing his last 2 weeks here....good timing.  The party was held at Zub, a bar owned by the same guy that owns "the shack".  Martinis were 2 for 1, everyone I've met so far in Beijing was there, and it was good times.  Leaving the bar at 3am, Caitlin, Alex and I stopped for some street food....a spicy pancake called jianbing.   Its my kind of food...batter is spread out over the griddle, then an egg is cracked over that - a liberal douse of hot sauce, sprinking of green onion, and then a crispy cracker is folded into it before being handed over to be eaten!  Total cost ~ Y2.  ($1CDN = Y6.7)
        I love that the street vendors are out at 3am, with their little portable kitchens mounted on tricycles....less heart-warming is the fact that the little flower girls are out at that hour, too.  Flower girls are sold into slavery, for lack of a better word, by their families who live in smaller villages outside of the city.  The girls work for no money, selling flowers, and are severely malnourished and overworked.  They are not allowed to return to wherever they are staying until all the flowers are sold....very sad.  The girls are very sweet but definately street-smart; you  have to watch your bags and pockets around them.
     I'm just waiting for my new Vietnamese visa to come through, and them I'm headed back down south, making a few stops along the way, before making my way to Sapa, and then back to Thailand....Bangkok again!   I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to go to Myanmar....lots of time to figure that one out!! 
      Hope all of you are doing well...I'm still working on getting some photos up if at all possible....
xoxo Laura

Tags: Mountains

About lolo

Me at CKS Intl. Airport, very bored.  I was there from about 12midnight until my flight to Singapore, about 7am.  Ha ha, and also ~ you can see up my nose!  (but I still like this pic....)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.