Existing Member?

here, there & everywhere

Morocco

MOROCCO | Wednesday, 25 July 2007 | Views [1644] | Comments [1]

From Lagos we hot footed it straight to Gibraltar....after finding out there is only one Ferry a week from there we headed back ...only 10mins..to Algeciras to catch a ferry over to Morocco.

 

We coughed up the cash for the quick and easy option of a taxi to Asilah...a little coastal town in the North West. We took a Grand Taxi...which meant we were in an old Merc, and our driver was cranking Cat Stevens.

After sorting out accom we had a quick stroll round town and a bite to eat...which turned out to be a full on feast, little did we know we were going to be getting Seafood platters...but thats how Morocco work...no menus - we are rich westeners after all. The next day we caught a horse and cart about 5 kms away to 'Paradise' Beach....which was quite nice, but paradise is a  bit of a stretch of the imagination.

From Asilah we caught a train to Casablanca, where we only spent one night but got to check out a pretty impressive mosque, plus I can say I've been to Casablanca! Then another train ride to Marrakech - Tourist Central! The busy markets, beggars and heat were'nt really that much fun. But us Girlies did go to a Hamman...kinda like a day spa. You sit in a sauna...get hot...then they throw water over you and cover you with what I am sure is Vicks...let you get hot again then douse you with more water and scrub you down. Finally you get covered in what could quite possibly be bird poo...maybe mud and then doused in water again. Hey at least I got clean!

    

From Marrakech we trekked it out towards the dessert, driving for a good 8 hours in a hot bus to the Dades Gorge. The next day we got to go for a quick dip in the spring before heading off for a sunset camel trek of the Sahara. We had Berber guides...who we quite the 'Ladies' men propositioning some of the girls. We slept out under the stars and we up for dawn and sunrise camel trek back.

     

From the 15 odd of us who headed to the dessert 3 of us decided we wanted to make the extra effort and visit Fes. So another palatial Mercades Benz taxi ride it was. The boys were stoked to find beer...and going one better that night we even discovered a happy hour! Up early the next morning we hit the Medina and had a tour...glad we did cos it is a crazy maze. We visited Silversmiths, bakers, shoe makers, rug makers and a Berber chemist. From Fes we took the hottest and sweatiest train ride ever! Back to Spain!!!

 

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

i hope u spent a good time here in Morocco especially in asilah :p , good pictures ... take care !!!

  Mouniem from asilah Apr 26, 2008 11:56 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.