Existing Member?

here, there & everywhere

So Frenchy....so....bloody expensive to drive around!

FRANCE | Saturday, 28 August 2010 | Views [377]

We arrived in the wee hours of the morning from Dover into France...we took the 5am ferry as we are on a budget! joyous! After initially taking the wrong freeway - which we paid 3Euros for that pleasure, we finally made our way to Epernay - CHAMPAGNE country!!!


We took a tour of Moet et Chandon, which was very good - top tip Peety. We stole our tasting glasses, so it was really a bargain tour at 15Euros each with a glass of champagne (literally)....hopefully we don't smash them in transit. Then for the hours of driving and massive amounts of money we would spend on tolls in France, in one day we paid nearly 60Euro and made it to a little north of Nice, in the French Alps. We stopped for a traditional french meal of Pizza! which was delicious.

The next day we headed off the toll roads, but onto a very very windy, very slow road down the mountains. But it did lead us into Digne-les-Bains, where we had breakfast and they had a great local market on - not for tourists, so had some great stuff, lots of fresh produce. We finally arrived at Antibes on the Cote-dÁzure and went for a much needed swim. We were so happy to finally find sunshine and warmth after the wet misery of the UK. Then up the coast to Nice, where we strolled around, had dinner and watched many interesting people walk past us whilst we looked out over the beach.

We decided to make tracks and drove through Monaco at night and into Italy!

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.