Existing Member?

here, there & everywhere

There was a Scottish man, and English man and an Irish man....and the Irish man couldn’t organise..

IRELAND | Saturday, 21 August 2010 | Views [1320]

Inside a real life castle dungeon. at St Andrews. Obviously criminals were only ever little people.

Inside a real life castle dungeon. at St Andrews. Obviously criminals were only ever little people.

a root in a brothel!

So we headed off for our car-camping adventure....leaving Aberdeen and heading down to Edinburgh. On the way we stopped off at St Andrews..home to the famous golf course. A very pretty..and obviously expensive village, we looked around a castle and cathedral as part of our Heritage Scotland thanks to Paul & Alex. The castle was quite good...ruins again, but there were some tunnels that you could get into, I only went a meter, but Kurt did the whole lot. They were dug as some people were trying to invade, by digging through, but the castle people found out a dug a counter tunnel.

Then onto Edinburgh, the festival was in full swing, with the streets crowded with people and it was only a Wednesday. We headed to the castle (again thanks Alex & Paul), it is really large compound on top of the hill, with a great view of the city. Alas both our camera’s batteries were dead – so no photos at all. Then we had a wee wonder around and thanks to Kate from Woods Bagot, we had some hot tips for eating/drinking and headed to Tigerlily – a very cool New York kinda vibe restaurant/bar. We decided to splash out and I had duck and Kurt had lamb – delicious! Then to a fringe comedy show – Arj Barker. And then we drove through the night to our port of departure to Ireland!

The Ferries to Ireland were far superior to that of the Greek ones! And with internet...albeit slow. We arrived in Belfast and headed straight down to Dublin, where we stayed just out of the city in a seaside town called Howth. We had a traditional Irish pub meal and Bulmers (Irish cider) for Kurt. We managed to quite easily navigate our way into Dublin and Kurt went on the Guinness Experience Tour, while I had some time wondering the close by high street – which was a bit dirty and not much chop really, but I found a cute little cafe had a coffee and read Glamour – so I was well happy.

Then we ventured south to a little town called Dunmanway, where Kurt had discovered that some Irish Road Race (bikes) were happening. We did a mini pub crawl of most of the pubs in the town..we went to about 3 and I reckon there was at least 5 there...next day we waited and waited for this road racing, which was meant to start at 11am, but didn’t kick off til about half one!! And then it started to rain! The bike basically did a rectangle track through the town and the roads there aren’t that great – so I wouldn’t like to race it.  

After drying out a bit, we headed for Rossguard where our ferry was leaving from in the morning, we managed to skilfully drive right past Jameson’s distillery in Cork, so had a look there and lucky Kurt not long after he declared his desire for MacDonald’s we passed right by one!

Now we are on a ferry back to Wales/England....

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.