Existing Member?

here, there & everywhere

Highland Jig!

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 14 August 2010 | Views [349]

So we have decided to pack a bit of car-camping travel into the last few weeks before heading back to Australia for ‘Wedding Fest 2010’. Kurt managed to track down a bargain, a 1999 Subaru Forrester, in a lovely heritage green. Which we have decked out with a blow-up mattress, quilt and pillows – our new home on wheels.

Before our 3 week trek, we decided to do a test run so we headed north of Aberdeen, around the coast and over to Inverness. We popped into Glenfiddich distillery for a tour, which was free and Kurt got to drink free scotch too. Then we went to some wildlife reserve.....!?!....and saw this bird of prey. Then to Loch Ness, where we found the most ludicrously overpriced crap food in the whole of Scotland...possibly the world. Kurt also got a hot tip from our waitress that the nearby Urquhart Castle is lacking security...so we headed there and jumped the fence to have browse around, it was old stone ruins overlooking the Loch, it was fun running around at dusk with no-one else there!

Surprisingly our new carcamping riggup went quite well and once we were all rested we had breakfast at a place called Dalwhinne....which has nothing, but this shop that sells one quid bacon rolls!!! I added egg to mine for an extra 45p – well worth it. Kurt had this gigantic bacon, cheese, mushroom, omelette thing...that he didn’t even finish.

From there we went to visit my great Uncle Jimmy at Blair Athol and stopped at the very unique ‘House of Bruar’ to grab a cake to take...Bruar is like this weird Scottish department store thing...has lots of kilts for sale, deer horn furniture and a great food hall....the weirdest bit is that it is about 10 miles from anything....is just in the middle of nowhere off the highway..but it is busier than King William road on a Saturday morning. We had a cuppa and cake with my Uncle Jimmy and saw a Hairy Highland Coo (cow) that Kurt wanted to go pat..but I talked him out of it. Then we headed south to Perth, where we went to some highland games, rather like a country show/fair but with lots of tug-of-war, caber tossing, hammer throwing, jig dancing, bag piping bands – the whole shebang! Was a good arvo and I even got a Scottish tan!!

After Perth we headed for home, only to stop for some hot chips at Britain’s best chippie for 1997 – 1999! And they were pretty bloody good too.

So we just hope the next part of our car-camping is as successful.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.