Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

High Tailing It to Madrid

SPAIN | Monday, 10 September 2007 | Views [776]

We have only a couple days left in Europe to finish up our blog, calculate and pay estimated taxes, and wrap up bills and other administrative chores.  The lack of information in Tarifa kept us from getting on timely busses, so we caught a mid day bus to Algeciras, the most southerly port and huge waterway of trade for Spain.  We were hoping to make it onto the 12:40 bus to Madrid, but when we arrived, tickets were "completo."  Such is our luck.  We stashed our bags in a big storage locker, and went out to explore the city for several hours.  It's your typical border town, felt like San Ysidro in San Diego, down near the Mexico border.  However, there were some attractive historical buildings to drink a nice café con leche by, which helped us pass the time a little better.
 
We take our late afternoon bus, and arrive to Madrid at 1:00 a.m., assuming we'll need to take a taxi, as the metro closes at 1:30 a.m.   To our pleasant surprise, the taxi driver told us to go back to the metro, as long as we get through the turn-style and have our ticket, we can make it, for a fraction of the cost of his taxi.  Wow, now that's an honest guy.  By 2:00 a.m., we're checking into a little hostal, and settling ourselves into bed.  Madrid is quiet, ironically, as we're in the heart of the city here.  We're fortunate to have accommodation, as most was completo, and this place came through with an email, minutes before our departure from Tarifa, to say they had habitaciones con cama matrimonial.  Sold.  From Algeciras we skyped the reception, who spoke not a lick of English, to confirm our very late arrival, and our luck ended up very good, after arriving so late.  So we'll spend two days here in the city, getting those last available western world products from the pharmacy, finishing up our important administrative activities and hopefully taking in a few nice meals and bebidas while we await for our flight out to Guatemala.  Tomorrow is all about organizing a place to stay in Antigua during the independence day festivities that we are landing into upon arrival, securing modes of safe, yet cheap transportation there, and finalizing our volunteer and language activities.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.