Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Iberia Comes Through

SPAIN | Wednesday, 22 August 2007 | Views [1128]

At first we thought the concept of the RTW ticket was fabulous.  To go with One WOrld versus Star Alliance was a no brainer.  One World had the dominance of providers in Sough America, as well as presence everywhere else we wanted to go.  So we booked the ticket through Qantas down in new Zealand.  The One World advertisements emphasize convenience, flexibility and ease of use... Easy to change routing and times of flights with any One World Alliance member.  Great, we thought, as we bought the tickets.  This is perfect for our situation and our needs.  However, until you really need to make a change, you really don't know if the system works.  We first tried to make some flight adjustments with FinnAir in Bangkok, but they said they couldn't do any changes, we needed to use a Qantas agent.  So we tried Qantas over the phone in Bangkok, and they also could not help us with getting rerouting secured and ticketed.  We figured that we'd try FinnAir in Helsinki, their main port of call, but also that office was unable to help or see our RTW tickets in their system.  So we figured we'd use our time in Spain to get IBERIA to help us with our complete rerouting of our itinerary from Madrid through Central and South America.  After finding their airport ticketing office of no help and completely unknowledgeable and unwilling to discuss our RTW One World needs, we had resorted to emailing and calling Qantas in New Zealand.  It appeared as if they could help us, but after delayed responses and final conclusion that they couldn't reissue us new tickets, they pushed us off onto their EU Headquarters office in Germany.  That office, after blowing $30 on a call to them, was rigid, interpreted the guidelines so strictly and differently than any other agents we spoke with when planning and purchasing the tickets, became a quickly negative spiraling conversation, and they also said they were not allowed to mail new tickets outside of Germany (so much for transparency of borders in the EU).  So much for a One World Global Alliance.  If the member airlines can't help you get changes and new tickets, what's the benefit?  We started to question whether we should have rather booked our tickets with Star Alliance - at least in all the airports, they have a well marked desk, and support service visible and ready to assist passengers.  
 
So we finally found the Barcelona city IBERIA office address online.  No phone number to call and ask for directions, so off we went exploring the streets and finally found the office.  While there were no phones, they did have computers, and a woman, Carmen, who also spoke English - what a bonus!  The office was empty of any customers, what a joy for us.  Five agents sitting at terminals, one speaks English, so we work with Carmen to plot out our completely new route, shifting continents, countries and cities to maximize our air and land travel over the next 7 months.  She tells us she can reissue the tickets within two working days... Now that's service!
 
Behind the scenes her colleague Tony goes to work plotting out flight times and options for us.  I return the following day at noon, just in case there were any issues, as I didn't want anything to hold up our ability to get new tickets, and as their office had no phones best way to get service and resolution I felt was in person.  
Walking in the door, Carmen waves me over.  She says if I wait maybe an hour, Tony will have the tickets issued - wow, 1 day advance of the deadline she had given me. They also had several questions that we worked through, and in only 30 minutes, Carmen calls me over, ready to go through the new routing and nine new flight segments.  I pay the $125/pp fee for the change, and she actually gives us an electronic ticket - no more having to carry around a book of old fashioned paper tickets.  She even allows us a routing that the Qantas Germany office refused us with their strict interpretation of the OW guidelines.  Carmen and Tony have completely turned around our opinion of IBERIA, hats off to them, their flexible, accommodating style and willingness to provide great customer service.  Just in time to also catch a flight out to Madrid tomorrow!

Tags: Travel Tips

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.