Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

A Tribute to Girlfriends

SPAIN | Tuesday, 21 August 2007 | Views [1664]

I feel compelled to write a little note on the importance of girlfriends, as a special part of this trip for me has been the chance to reconnect with some of my best friends that live so far away. The most magical part of the deep friendship with my girlfriends, is the ability to pick up where we've left off, despite years of not seeing each other in person. It has been 10 years since I last lived in Australia, but visiting with Anna, Karla, Sally and Liz was like I had never left the country. Not only did we share our memories as if it was just yesterday that we were living them, but catching up, seeing new additions to families - the beautiful children, and learning about how life in Sydney changes and stays the same and how dreams and goals are being realized has been so special. In Hong Kong, seeing Doreen, Annie and Joyce was like we had just worked a day together in the office and were out for a yummy evening meal, talking about their accomplishments and evolving lives, and seeing how their beautiful little babies have grown up to be gorgeous children; and late night chats over drinks and dinner with Nandita brought back instant memories of our times at work in Asia, dinners in Hong Kong and secondary inspection immigration at the border in Mexico.
Spending time with Purvi, in India, was such a treat, and to be outside the office environment and out on the town with she and her sister Shilpa was great fun, not to mention how nice it is to know that Shilpa is now just up the road in Los Angeles to see when I return. Making new girlfriends, like Shrivani in India, was really special, having "girls" day out and experiencing local culture as a female in India.
The friendships made with Uma and Rama in Nepal, and the personal and professional relationships that will also continue in the future have shed new light into serving others, and providing support in such a caring and nurturing way, connecting women helping women with other women throughout the world is inspirational.
And an amazing reunion with my good friend Kim in Egypt, after not having seen her in maybe 10 years. It was like we were in our 20's again, reflecting on fun adventures of the past, life that's flown by and life changes, along with plans and dreams to shoot for in the future. Both catching up, and seeing Egypt through her eyes as a female expat and mother was so impactful and inspiring.
And an amazing treat, my very special friend and fellow surfer-chica from San Diego, Deanna, who made the long trip to Barcelona to come visit and have a taste of Europe. We haven't vacationed together since the mid 90's surf trip to Costa Rica and Mexico trips, but again, girls night out in Barcelona, armed with HUGE litre glasses of sangria gave us the chance to catch up, reflect and have girly chat time.
And a big thanks for the friendly, supportive and comforting emails from my girlfriends at home and around the world that I may not see in person, and especially the voice mails left by my sister and mom on our skype voicemail box... it’s a strong reminder of the strong bonds that extend overseas, and are always there with love and encouragement. It’s thrilling to get onto email or skype and see the new message button and know my girlfriends are traveling right along with me.
It's something I've come to appreciate so much while being on the road. You don't get the girlfriend time each day. It makes those encounters on the road with girlfriends every so special. I look forward to meeting more girlfriends along the way and especially looking forward to spending time with Sandra and seeing Ana, Solange and Magali for quality time that's no longer work focused, in Brazil, which marks our last big stop on the South American continent for a local carnival experience!

Tags: Friends

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.