Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Land 'O Beers

VIETNAM | Friday, 27 July 2007 | Views [940]

One aspect of Vietnam that was a pleasant surprise (especially for Darrin) is that beer ("bia" in Vietnamese) is plentiful and cheap throughout the country! The bottled varieties (like Saigon) were a decent deal at $0.50 to $0.70 cents a bottle, but the real bargain was in the draught beer, which could be found at beer-only establishments discreetly marked as "Bia Hoi". A Bia Hoi "pub" is typically a simple garage-like room with a giant beer keg in the corner, and dozens of tiny child-like plastic stools (both to be used as seats and tables). The bia is then served in glasses (around 12 oz.) for 2000 dong, which equates to around $0.20 cents! At this price, you can understand why the Vietnamese love their bia.

At all hours of the day and night, you see crowds (mostly men) sitting on their tiny stools downing glass after glass of the lager-style bia.

Our first introduction to Bia Hoi was in Mui Ne, when the guy I was taking kite surfing lessons from (Mr. Lee) offered to show us the local Bia Hoi pub. This particular Bia Hoi pub was very local, so it really helped to have him their to help familiarize us with the process. Our other Bia Hoi experience was in Hanoi where the pubs were even more plentiful and a bit more "foreigner friendly". We found one intersection in particular where there were several Bia Hoi pubs crammed into each street corner. Locals and foreigners all packed the pubs, balancing on their tiny stools, drinking their $0.20 bia, watching the world go by. We spent several afternoons on this corner, having many (lost count) glasses of bia and were continuously entertained by the street life in Hanoi. Vietnam is truly a "Land 'o Beers"!

Tags: Party time

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.