Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Amazing Angkor

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 27 June 2007 | Views [827]


It’s difficult to put into words, the astounding beauty and magnificence of the Temples of Angkor.  After having seen the temples, stupas and wats in India, Nepal, Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos, we had saved the Angkor in Cambodia, for the grand finale... and it certainly lives up to a “grand finale” type expectation.

It’s not cheap to get into the ruins.  We entered with our tuk-tuk driver, and our two Israeli friends.  We took two days to do the inner and outer loops, covering 17K the first day, and 26K the second.  You could easily get by on a bicycle seeing the inner loop, but the heat right now is lethal, and so we chose to take tuk-tuks (see Pimp Daddy story June 26).  It cost us $40/pp for a three day pass... I guess, for South East Asia, it’s pricey, however, comparing it to a ticket to Disney World, it’s pennies.  We figured we could handle a final three days of temples and ruins, after the past 5 months of indulging in them through the region.  

These temples are the pride and joy of the Cambodian people, they proudly talk about how they were created and preserved.  Angkor is a symbol of national pride to people here.  They’re also known more popularly in the west, from a scene in the movie Tomb Raider.  The temples span religions and cultures as well as history, and were built over a period of 600 plus years, from AD 802 to 1432.  The temples reflect Buddhism as well as Hinduism in their design and architecture.   We have uploaded a number of photos from the temples and ruins... but know this is just a fraction of what this magnificent site holds.  Excavation is still ongoing, and there are undoubtedly a ton of mysteries to be unearthed in the region.  

We have been so impressed here with how well the ruins and World Heritage Area has been maintained.  You don’t see trash lingering anywhere.  And the bathrooms are second to none; actually quite luxurious.  Not to mention they even have signs instructing you how to use a western toilet!

We spent a great two days dedicated to seeing the temples here, and by far, it was one of the best sites we’ve been to.  Great grand finale!

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.