Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

No Fight, No Change

MYANMAR | Thursday, 24 May 2007 | Views [823]

Behind the big beautiful smiles and cheerful "hello's" and "mingalaba's", several locals told us that the Burmese people are generally sad and troubled. They used to fight it, but have been so crushed, both physically and psychologically by the military regime over the years, that they now remain silent and accept the situation as it is. When you get one-on-one with a local, and they know that no one else is around or listening, the stories come flowing out. They have little hope that things will change, and as strong Buddhists, firmly believe that by living their values and doing good in this lifetime, regardless of the awful conditions they're being oppressed underneath, that they will prevail with much better lives in future incarnations. That seems to be what keeps them going. The older generation is sad because they have no hope for their children to live a free life. We've heard the statement "no fight, no change" and they believe it will take force to remove the powers that control them with an iron fist. When we say we're American, despite how negatively the rest of the world perceives the US actions in Iraq, these people actually light up, and express hope that allies might one day come to save them from their bondage. "We love America and Americans; you fight for freedom and change, and you bring freedom to others.". "Here we have the UN, and they are worthless, when innocent people are killed or imprisoned for praying to Buddha for change, or for praying for 'the Lady's' release, they are thrown into jail for years and years... And the UN just says, we're sorry.". No change will come without fight. People speak angrily of the Russians and Chinese who secretly fund the oppression through trade of arms and goods. It's heartbreaking, and makes us appreciate all that we have. We heard stories from students who one day would like to travel outside Myanmar, but are restricted from getting a passport. In fact, we were told that an application for a passport costs $5,000 USD... And to get through the paperwork and get yourself out of the country could mean upwards of $25,000 to $50,000 along with strong connections in the government to get you out. Most people here will never have the opportunity to have a passport and leave the country even to go across the border to Thailand. Imagine not being able to leave the US on a holiday, or to visit a relative in another country? Imagine the government controlling your every move, and not allowing you to move - or even worse, forcing you to evacuate your only home and set out on your own to start all over again, with nothing to your name; no home, no land, no job. Imagine living in constant fear, that when you go to sleep, everything could be taken from you when you awaken, and you're unable to provide security, safety and the basics for your family. It's a good thing that local big bottle of whiskey and rum costs about 1,300 kyat (around $1 USD) because they certainly need the drink under these conditions. If we could adopt a bunch of children to give them freedom, I'd adopt these beautiful children and give them a life of freedom back at home... And then bring all their parents over so they could raise their children in a free land, where they could provide a good life for them. That's truly all the people want here, to be able to provide for their families, and afford them a healthy, happy life. It seems so simple, but it's so far from reality here.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.