Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Inspirational Women Helping Women & Children

NEPAL | Wednesday, 2 May 2007 | Views [2559]

I am humbled today, as I spent the day with two women who took their time to share with me their world here in Nepal. First, I must mention, that these women understand and have sought to rise above the cultural and societal barriers to women in Nepal. Once married, it is a woman's role to be responsible for the care and well being of her husband and immediate family, along with her husband's family (and extended family). This responsibility (similar as in India) often limits the time a woman has to dedicate to her own professional and personal endeavors and goals. I have met two strong, independent women who have gone against the grain, and not only have found the time to maintain traditional roles within their families, but also, to pursue professional interests to benefit others, specifically other women and children. My friend, Uma Poudyal, has dedicated her professional career to the Social Services Sector here in Nepal for over 20 years. She project manages a portfolio of high priority programs with many NGOs and INGOs, that span 10 different sectors including children, women, education, health, community, environment, human rights, disability, peace & justice. Her passion is to start her own foundation to further aid in the support for children's health, along with helping to reduce Nepali exposure to HIV through education and behavior change. Uma is on the advisory board for Sanjeewan Sewa, a non-profit, and NGO devoted to child health and welfare. They have been working with the Kanti Children's Hospital in Kathmandu to provide financial and medical aid to poor child patients who are not able to afford the service charges of hospitals. They also provide accommodation and nutritious food to not just the patient, but family members and care takers of the patients around the hospital area, along with requisite transportation to the poor family members to return home. 65% of patients at Kanti come from remote areas of Nepal. Mothers might walk for days to reach the hospital with their ill child. We spent half our day with Mr. Bishop Joshi at the Kanti Children's Hospital. Kanti Hospital was formed back in 1963 by the Russians, handed over to the Nepal government ministry of health, and it was ordained by the government as a children's hospital in the early 1970's. It is the only children's hospital in Nepal; they cater to new born infants through age 14. With the continuing decline of government funding, and the rising demand - nearly one out of every eleven children in Nepal dies before reaching the age of five, and almost 70,000 children die yearly from preventable causes. Having the chance to tour the hospital, meet some doctors, nurses, and patients, it's amazing they are able to do what they do, with the little they have. When x-rays, CAT Scan instrumentation break, they are unable to fix them because they can't afford the service bill. Seeing the children in the Cancer Ward and the Extreme Poverty ward, it's sad to see how little they have to help the children... and with the statistics the way they are around child mortality, that there's only one children's hospital in Nepal seems like such a crime. Looking at the ICU room where new born baby's needing incubators and other services - shocking to see only 9 beds for all the babies born. But Mr. Bishop Joshi has grown this hospital over the past 30 years. He has secured charitable givings that have allowed him to provide 6 beds for cardiac patients, 4 beds for cancer patients, 9 beds for ICU, and he has expanded the hospital from 50 to 300 beds. Whole the number of beds have expanded, the lack of trained/skilled doctors and nurses in Nepal is a rate limiting factor. They can only serve so many with the human resources they have. And its even more painful when pre and post monsoon season arrives and brings on outbreaks of cholera. The work that Uma and Bishop both do is passionate and all heart. Securing, channeling and holding projects accountable for positive impact and progress is helping Nepal move forward. Uma's work doesn't just stop with children, though... it spans so many other areas. We had the very good fortune of meeting the amazing Mrs. Indira Sapkota, Managing Director/President of Bhotu-Indira Social Welfare Organization; (Manufacturers & Exporters of Woolen Knitted Goods). It's a non profit, NGO working with the aim of bringing changes in the economic, legal and social status of Nepalese women. Their main aim is to uplift the condition of the most backward, exploited grass-root level poor women in rural and urban areas. Her organization offers various services to women, providing the skill, training, and all round support in their income generating activities. She's 70 and going strong, having established this organization in 1998, her mission works for the all round development of grass-root level women. Indira is an inspirational leader, a mentor, and role model for not just Nepal women, but women the world over. As a wife and mother, she overcame the resistance and rose above those seeking to keep her down in a traditional society 'female' role, and after 10 years of supporting immediate and extended family, she used her traditional skills to develop a business of knitted wears, which has rapidly expanded, empowering rural women to learn, develop and support themselves through to financial independence. While she once employed 250 women, due to the past turmoil in the country, the women were unable to come to work due to the strikes, and led to the need to cease exports, without the ability to guarantee product. Indira's business is a strong business, built on heart, and the passion to improve women's lives, giving them the key to self-sustenance. With the new government in place, the group remains hopeful that business will start to return, and more women will be able to participate and create their own opportunity. Indira doesn't stop with just women; she also supports the Shree Gram Sudhar Primary School at Baluwa Village which provides all costs to support the education to over 60 students. Indira is an inspiration for us all.. rising above the constraints that society holds firm, working to support and develop those women that might not have the confidence or opportunity to stand up for themselves and acquire self sustainable skills. Today has been an uplifting experience, to say the least. To have the chance to talk with, learn from, and be inspired by women doing so much good work, and having a tremendous impact... I feel so fortunate to have been in their presence, and hope to gain new ideas and possibilities for also so positively impacting the lives of women around me.

Tags: People

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.