Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Buddhism & Hinduism Peacefully Coexist in Nepal

NEPAL | Monday, 30 April 2007 | Views [2635]

Today was temple tour day... we headed out to the Bodhnath Stupa, a famous Buddhist stupa built after AD 600. We saw Buddhists and Hindus here, circling the stupa in a clockwise fashion. It was interesting to see the different types of worship... there were holy men with prayer beads, walking clockwise, and spinning each prayer wheel they passed. There were religious men in yellow robes with wooden "thong" type shoes on their hands, and a thick padded apron on their front; they would kneel down and lay on the ground, sliding the wooden shoes with their hands forward, extending face down on the cobble-brick pavement, stretched out stiff in prayer and would do this the entire way around the stupa. We walked our way 2K's from the stupa to the Hindu temple Pashupathinath. There were all sorts of people here. Only Hindu's were allowed into the formal temple, however, the grounds were huge and we had the chance to be with thousands of other Hindus as they were spending their Labor Day holiday taking part in day long poojas. New for us were the burning ghats, where Hindus conduct their funeral ceremonies by burning the deceased and scattering the ashes into the river. It's amazing how, similar to India, you have such strong beliefs in faiths of different sorts, and people of all faiths living next door to each other in harmony. It's a wonderful thing to see... and here in Nepal, Hinduism and Buddhism are very intertwined and coexistent.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.