Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Annapurna Ascent Astounds

NEPAL | Monday, 23 April 2007 | Views [973]

It's not often one can say at 4:00 am, they have a breathtaking moment. Even harder to believe at negative 19 degrees celsius, after rising from a warm down sleeping bag, fully clothed in wool thermals, hiking pants, fleece and down jacket, to walk the 50 meters to the cold out house to use the hole in the ground squatter toilet. When we had gone to bed, it was still snowing, as it had been since noon the day prior. It hasn't snowed at Machhapuchhre (6997M) Base Camp in over two months, but just our luck. We figured it would be clouded in the next day too, and we'd have to abort our mission to Annapurna Base Camp. But as I stepped out of our freezing cold shelter and into the even colder early morning air, I was amazed by the billions of stars that lit up the clear, dark winter sky. It was going to be an incredible morning for our ascent. We were bundled up and on the trail by 5:00 am. It was so cold you could see your breath. the ground was covered with fluffy, dry powder, covering up a layer of ice that had frozen from the prior days thawing. Our feet were not equipped to be tramping through snow. We only had our simple cross-trainers and light weight hiking socks. Any concern for our preparation for the cold winter weather quickly melted, as we gazed, in jaw dropping awe at the majestic snow covered peaks before us. It was the feeling you get as a child, waking up on Christmas morning, full of excitement and anticipation, as you peer out your window and see the fresh blanket of snow and wonder what surprise lay ahead. We followed the bubbling river up the stretch of mountain. As the sun began to rise above, Annapurna III and Machhapuchhre to our backs, the peaks of Annapurna I, Singuchuli, Tent Peak, Tharapu, Tarkekang began to turn shades of pink, blazing into reds and orange. This is the reason we have come here, the pinnacle of our trip. Seeing the Annapurna range, in it's snow covered glory, unobstructed above the clouds and foothills at sunrise, made all the painful hours of trekking a distant memory. Every minute brought new colors against the snowy peaks... the mountains were ablaze. We reached ABC and just stood in awe, breathing the thin air, mesmerized, staring at the changing colors of the mountains like a lava lamp. I now understand why people endure the weeks of grueling trekking, below zero temps, minimal comforts of heat, warm showers and homey shelters, to climb mountains. Our trek this morning and the amazing views have give us a taste of what others make as routine pilgrimage. Ten days of full day treks, knees and legs that can barely carry us anymore. It's completely worth it!

Tags: Mountains

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.