Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Fine Dining at the BP Station

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 16 February 2007 | Views [861]

After a very productive morning in Dongara bringing you an actually "working" website, we put in a full 7 hours of driving south, with the goal to get past Perth, and away from the confusing highway infrastructure that had us spinning our first day.  Passed it we did, so far into no-mans-land, that we were having trouble finding anywhere to park our van for the night.  The one caravan park that was close was all full up as a new mine had just started up, and it was full of miners - now that would have been an experience!  A big trucker guys who had overheard me in the shop inquiring about places to camp, stopped along side us outside and said, "aw, just park in the trucker parking alongside the roads."  I asked if he was sure it was ok... "right, just pull off into the back area after dark, and you should be right."  Not sure the thought of being amongst a bunch of truckers in the dark was the most appealing and safe option, so we thanked the nice guy, after chatting briefly about his one time spent in San Diego at the grand opening of the Spaghetti Factory in the gas lamp district years ago, and headed down the road another 100k's to the next town.  Pulled up to the only caravan park, behind the BP petrol station.  It had one of those neon signs illuminating the entrance - bright red MOTEL light the moonless night sky up like the flickering MOTEL signs you see in horror movies.  That's exactly how we felt.  At least we were in a real caravan park, and not some random dark trucker parking lot, but tough not to confuse the two at this point.  As we settled up our bill for the nights camp site with power, the owner highly recommended the restaurant just in front of the park.  I thought surely there must be something he's referring to down the road, but no, there it was, a sit down restaurant in the BP petrol station.  After a long haul on the road, neither of  us wanted to cook or clean our already poor options for dinner- burgers or pasta with meat sauce.  We took the man up on his recommendation and hiked it up to the station for some fish-n-chips, that we were only allowed to take away, or eat at the mini-mart counter.  Satisfied with our heavy bags-o-grease, we strolled back down to eat in our camper, which still reeked of fish the next morning. 

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.