Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Job with a View

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 2 February 2007 | Views [872]

There are so many amazing things we could write about our experience on the Great Ocean Road...  The State of Victoria has National Reserves & Park development mastered.  Each site along the way is well marked, and finely manicured.  I met a ranger on our hike down to walk along the beautiful beaches of the 12 Apostles, and was talking with him about what a great job they were doing, and how he must love his job, having the stunning views and being outdoors in such an amazing environment.  He agreed that he loved his job, however, said that today was the first day this week that he actually got out of the office - imagine that, a park ranger job behind a desk... What's this world coming to?  Does he send emails to other park rangers?  Does he have to re-forecast his budget every quarter when they don't have enough revenue paying visitors... Wait, there are no park fees, and we haven't seen a police car the entire trip so they're obviously not brining in revenue.  So exactly what is it that a park-ranger spends his entire week doing behind a desk?

 

Enough of my tangential corporate dialogue in my head; I must do a better job decompressing and letting go of such thoughts. 

 

Enjoying we have been doing... The sights have been amazing.  The 12 Apostles (or the 7 or so that are truly still standing) were breathtaking.  A question I ponder is why doesn't anyone surf the breaks in this area?  There were consistent peaks, some sets of 4 and 5 lefts and rights, breaking so cleanly outside and through these majestic formations.  I'd like to surf and dive this area. 

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.