Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Artsy Valparaíso

CHILE | Monday, 17 December 2007 | Views [1393]

Tiny multicolored houses dot the hillsides of this seaside town of Valparaíso, west of Santiago.  The city feels a bit like a tiny San Francisco to us, a marine layer hangs over the coast, and steep hills give way to busy commercial streets below, where trolly cars still run up and down competing with busses, taxis, colectivos and the train line.  It has a cool artsy vibe; artistic graffiti abounds, the city is painted in it.  We walk for hours, weaving our way through the narrow streets, past hillside shanties constructed of thin aluminum sheets barely held together.  Creaky, rickety asensores (mechanical escalators) climb up rusty tracks to scale steep slope sides - in fact 15 of these things still exist here, and we ride the oldest remaining one, Ascensor Conception, built back in 1883 and originally powered by steam.  One of the most unique museums we've seen is here in Valpo, El Museo a Cielo Abierto (Open Air Museum), completed in 1973 after four years of work by local University Art Institute students.  We delve further into the depths of the city streets and hills, mulling over brightly colored murals and bizarre paintings.  We settle for a break at a street-side cafe, along side of one of the city plazas, listening to the school children's choir perform live Christmas carols.  Hard to believe Christmas is only a week away.
 
In a country where fast pace of development and consumerism have left behind many traditional ways of life of the indigenous people, it's refreshing to see this small city and the local arts and handicraft scene still alive and thriving.  If we can't experience a local indigenous intact village, at least can appreciate the colorful lives and expression of culture through the locals here in Valparaíso.

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.