Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

And So Begins Our Love Affair with Chile

CHILE | Wednesday, 12 December 2007 | Views [1193]

Floating through the air, we see speckled iridescent blue lakes nestled between towering mountains, and then from out of nowhere, we see the sprawling metropolis below us, surrounded by huge snow capped Andean peaks.  Touch down, we're now in Santiago, and finally at sea level altitude.  I feel my lungs gasp a sigh of relief despite the fact that it's over 30ºC today, an unusually hot day for spring here.  We step onto the sweaty hot public bus and head downtown to Barrio Brazil where we've booked into a funky hostel called Hotel Tokyo - nick nacked out to the hilt, with frilly lace table covers and window dressings.  An old colonial home, we feel like we've checked into grandma and grandpa's house as we're greeted by an 85 year old man who serves us tea in ancient china and gives us a tour of the house, complete with history behind all the hundreds of nick nacks scattered all around.  Our room is decked out with flowery decor but the bed is comfy and for the first time in over a couple of months we have TV, and CNN to boot!  We're in the University section of town.  The plazas are surrounded by streets full of cafes, restaurants, artists with guitars and other musical instruments playing to the beat of their own drummer out in the parks.  It's like Del Mar in the summer time, free concerts in the plaza.  
 
Tonight, Chile has stolen our hearts, with her food and wine.  While not cheap compared to other countries in South America (of course we order the cheapest eats on the menu), we gorge ourselves, each with 300 grams of prime steak at the restaurant just around the corner from our hostel, Las Vacas Gordas (the fat cows).  We each order up the lomo (similar to filet) and a bottle of vino tinto... far better than anything we've eaten out at Ruth Kris at home.  The fine slices of lomo slide down easily into our tummies, and the wine, oh, we love these Chilean reds.  So while it's relatively costly here compared to everywhere else we've been traveling, it's just that... all relative.  For under $20 we have two amazing huge steaks, potatoes, bread, a nice bottle of wine.  If we keep this  up we'll most likely be dying of a heart attack before we arrive back home... but isn't there a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, that a bottle of red wine with each nights dinner helps to ward off heart problems?  We'll continue to drink and eat our way through Chile...  We love this country!

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.