Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Remnants of Home

CHILE | Tuesday, 11 December 2007 | Views [1094]

Just past the 11th-month mark on our trip, and there are things we're now really missing on the road. We're down to our last homemade roll of toilet paper, dug out from the bowels of my backpack. I was thrilled to find we even had a little left. There's something to be said for soft, cottony, spring fresh smelling, "sizable" squares. Compared to the coarse, thin, and tiny sheets we scrounge up and collect from our hostel stays. Especially when we have bad colds and are blowing our noses constantly, we really miss the quilted, soft brands from home. Another luxury, long, powerful, hot steamy showers and shower drains that actually let the water out... versus the cold, low pressure trickles of water into showers that have backed up plumbing through nothing more than a tiny hole in the floor that radiates toxic fumes. Toilets that accept toilet paper for flushing, versus the constant requirement to deposit used paper in the tiny plastic bins next to toilets that are always overflowing and just flat out piles of nasty waste. Potable water from the tap, imagine having to brush your teeth and always rinse your toothbrush out with expensive bottled water for 360+ days, especially when you've run out, and all the shops are closed for the night. Fresh fruit and veggies and food you can trust won't make you ill, a big dose of fresh Vitamin C, and a smoothie made with non-bacteria or amoeba infested water. A mattress that isn't just a hard cement structure or a droopy bed caving in the center, or a laying on a box spring with pointy metal springs poking through overly worn sheets. A bed where we know we won't wake up in the morning covered in bites. A flat comfy pillow, and not one big lumpy thing that is stuffed full of microorganisms and other allergy inducing bugs. A toilet, with a seat, or better yet, a toilet you actually sit on versus squat. A shirt, pair of pants, or underwear that isn't synthetic, quick dry material. A nice soft cotton t-shirt and undies that have a fresh scent of fabric softener. Ah... these are just a few of the comforts from home that after eleven months on the road, we're really beginning to miss.

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.