Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

"La Otra"

GUATEMALA | Monday, 8 October 2007 | Views [882]

Naya, our fabulous cook, is also a comedian.  Half of what she says I can't fully understand, because I don't have an expansive set of vocabulary words committed to memory.  She has, however, taken a special liking to Darrin, probably because he's spent the first few days around the house while everyone else has been at school, and she's quite comfortable around him.  So Naya and Marta have nick named Darrin "Jesus," of course, because after going over 6 months now without a hair cut, he definitely has the "Jesus" look going for him.  When I come home from class for lunch each day, Naya is always there to greet me with a big smile.  I always say...  Darrin esta aqui?  And she always replies that no, el no esta aqui, el esta con "la otra!" (no, he's not here, he's with the other woman) and she cracks up with a very contagious laugh that always gets me rolling.  I finally told her today at breakfast that I think I've figured out who "La Otra" is... and she looks at me, inquisitively, I wink at her and say "tu eres la otra!" (you are the other!), and she cracks a huge smile, breaking out into that great laugh.  Having a family that actively engages us in Spanish conversation is like having another class experience, it's a fantastic learning lab for us every day.

Tags: People

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.