Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Crossing the Atlantic: Adios Espana, Hola Guatemala!

GUATEMALA | Thursday, 13 September 2007 | Views [963]

Up early, a last Starbuck's in hand, nearly now a memory from the developed world, and a last minute push to get an untested website up and running.  Despite heroic efforts all night and early morning, as Darrin reluctantly admitted, never launch untested programs...  and while I pushed, we ended up with broken links, a misbehaving site, and a ton of jitters from the solid caffeine jolt that we'd really missed in Southern Spain and Portugal.  Our hike from the Grand Duque Hostel, through the metro and onto our Iberia flight presented a challenge, in that Qantas messed up our ticket and hadn't reissued our flight to Guatemala after having changed the date for us.  Luckily our agent spoke some English and was able to get us seats.  The ten hour flight flew by, and after a few bad plane meals (at least Iberia serves meals) we were on a rough descent into Guatemala City.  Our bags were the last to come through, luckily they appeared.  I had booked a discount shuttle via the web to Antigua, but it was a list minute thing, so not sure they'd be waiting for us at this late hour.  Lucky for us, there was Julio, our driver, waiting for us with a hand written sign.  We flew by all the "gentle touts" to Julio, where we reconfirmed our rate before taking off.  Good thing, they tried to charge us an extra $15 and had sent a private van just for us.  After much negotiation, the agency finally backed out of the deal and let the driver have the full $20, and they would assume no responsibility for our safe arrival.  Best to go direct, for both our wallets, and the locals income.  Our driver was great, and we chatted in espanol for the hour drive as we wound through the curvy mountain roads.  The climate here is cool and cloudy, similar to the hills driving from San Jose, Costa Rica through the mountain passes.  A pleasant change from the sultry heat we've been living in for the past 8 months.  This weekend - September 15th, is Independence Day in Guatemala.  As we drive to Antigua, there are groups of young and middle aged Guatemaltecos carrying flaming torches and running down the roadside.  This is part of the festivities.  We arrive Antigua, a quaint little town of cobblestone roads, old churches, and colorful buildings.  Despite several earthquakes, this town maintains it's old colonial feel and is nestled between two volcanoes, one still active and spewing smoke.  We check into Casa Rustica and crash out for several hours.  We finally drag our bodies out of bed for some comida which we treat ourselves to an Italian dinner out, comfort food for a good nights rest to cure the jetlag.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.