Existing Member?

Let Large Two recently married Tasmanians, flying to the US, with ambitions to buy a bb gun at walmart, be stars in LA by wearing sunlasses indoors, re-marry in Vegas, pack an artery with creole cooking in New Orleans, and determine whether America needs saving

Are the Frech Really as rude as all that?

FRANCE | Monday, 18 June 2007 | Views [964] | Comments [2]

It has been said that the French revolution was enough to make anyone cranky, especially with the onslaught of such political and social upheaval.  So following years of violent turmoil and executions as a form of repression its understandable why the French have been a tad bitter in the past.  Their Animosity towards foreigners have been one of "well why did we have to go through that and nobody else?"  It has been argued, but not at any conciderable length - that this opinion is without base or reason.

It is also a point of contention that the French language is of the highest form because diplomats and policy makers world wide are required to at least learn it.  So when foriegners speak to native French citizens  without so much as a local "hello", there is little hope of expecting a pleasant reponse...

...or at least a response that does not involve spitting.

I have to say honestly, that they are no worse than anywhere else.  Not at any point was anyone in Paris rude to me.  Personally I think you have to be unbelievable rude to get a rude response in return.  And if you dont want to be barked at by an angry french person then stick around western areas. 

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

You are right Adrian, it doesn't take much of an effort to get the locals on-side.

Consider what your response would be if a Frenchman sidled up along side you in The Exchange Hotel Kalgoorlie and said "Bonjour Monsieur!" Why, I would punch his face without hesitation. Right in the middle, square upon his pointy French nose.

But if he, even in broken English, ventured "G'day mate, bonza day hey?", why I would be more inclined to tuck the ballsy weasel under my armpit, ruffle his hair, and fill him up with sweet, smooth Bundaberg rum until he could take no more. Then I would simply slap his back, point him in the general direction of his accomodation, and leave him to his own devices.

It's no good mothering these people - showing them brochures and museums, guiding them every step of the way. They want a true Aussie experience, and if that means waking up in a pool of vomit on Hannan Street or dying of thirst in the desert then so be it. At least there's a decent story in it, and that's all we have at the end of the day - a collection of stories.

Adrian I want to know what authentic foreign experiences have you had? Have any strangers been kind enough to show you their reality by, in effect, completely neglecting you? By inviting you into their homes, getting you drunk, and pushing you out the door? Maybe Africa is the place.

Keep the good oil flowing.

Michael.

  Michael "The O-Show" Outhwaite Jun 21, 2007 11:43 PM

2

Michael
why did you ever stop writing for the miner?
i mean apart from not living in kal anymore!
i miss the saturday morning article

  Ezza Jul 5, 2007 7:25 PM

About largeone

Pub

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.